Is rust a thing of the past

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When was the last time you saw a rusty car?

Are they better made now or do we just change our cars more often? Could it be down to the fact that people are taking better care of their cars nowadays?

Are the tougher annual inspections the thing we thank for seeing less rust on our cars? Have you ever had a problem with rust on your car?

Cars are being made from aluminium, plastic and even fibreglass/carbon. Plus the metals are of a superior quality with better rust prevention treatments and paints.

Plus we seem to get rid of cars that a few years ago would have been perfectly serviceable for many more years, probably due to electrical rather than mechanical issues. With today's cars being more complicated so more expensive to repair, they are more likely to be written off than repaired.

The body prep with the complete immersion in a chemical/undercoat bath so that every little nook and cranny gets coated may also have something to do with the lack of rust in modern cars.

Cars are being made from aluminium, plastic and even fibreglass/carbon. Plus the metals are of a superior quality with better rust prevention treatments and paints.

Plus we seem to get rid of cars that a few years ago would have been perfectly serviceable for many more years, probably due to electrical rather than mechanical issues. With today's cars being more complicated so more expensive to repair, they are more likely to be written off than repaired.
That's actually a very good point about the electronics in cars. I've had a few cars with pretty major annoying faults and it was usually down to faulty relays or worn wires. Would it be cynical of me to suggest that cars are made with built in obsolescence nowadays?