Is painting your intercooler black worth it?

I saw this the other day. I love these guys!

However, it seems a valid test and although the temps didn't change much after air had rushed over it, the temps were much better whilst at stand still!

actually when in an air flow the silver was better 100 drop rather than 97 degrees.

Whether the difference is offsett by the improvement when standstill is difficult to tell

Interesting .What's your take on this O-G??

Taking this experiment at face value:

A thin layer of matt black paint won't do any harm.

If you are a roundy roundy racer then you won't see any improvment as any reduction in temps due to an increase in radiant heat transfer is swamped by the convection heat transfer.

However, most of a drag race is spent stationary, so the large drop in temperature would be welcome.

I will be painting both rad and IC.

Taking this experiment at face value:

A thin layer of matt black paint won't do any harm.

If you are a roundy roundy racer then you won't see any improvment as any reduction in temps due to an increase in radiant heat transfer is swamped by the convection heat transfer.

However, most of a drag race is spent stationary, so the large drop in temperature would be welcome.

I will be painting both rad and IC.

This is the reason I put a thin layer of black on my intercoolers.

Interesting point. Charge coolers are simply air to air heat exchangers. Maybe we need to look at the thermal conductivity of the paint applied. I frequently wash the intercooler in my bog bone basic passat from the inside with a jet wash lance. Does it make it faster? Dunno - but it's not going to do any harm removing the insects etc thus increasing airflow