is my water pump knackered???

johnevo4

Car
96 black evo 4
i have a evo4 and only noticed the last day or so that it drips water from the front driverside when ticking over.cant see any leak so is it the water pump.also it makes a squeaking noise when cold but it is ok when taken for a spin and warmed.
any info appreciated as i would like to sort this.
also will i do any damage to be driving the car.

the drip is coming down to the front side of the oil filter cant really see where it starts though.

It could I suppose be the gasket on the water pump housing or even a leaking hose or bad clip somewhere. Are you sure it is water? Air conditioning is known to dribble water.

Do you need to keep topping up the water tank?

First you need to establish if it is coolant, do not try to taste it, it is extremely poisonous. ;)
There's nothing else water wise on the drivers side of the engine so i would guess it is coolant.
It could be the water pump or it could be the seal on the cross pipe at the back of the engine which transfers coolant to the thermostat block.
Your car is probably about twelve years old now and things like seals, metal pipes etc do fail at some stage.
You really do need to investigate this, if it is the water pump, or in fact anything where coolant loss is incurred, it could cost you much more to fix if you cook the engine than to cure it in it's infancy.
Have you had a full cambelt service, including the water pump, tensioner and pulleys done, or is there any paperwork to suggest so ?
The only other item in that region is the coolant header tank, it's a sealed plastic bottle with two tubes, one in, one out. If the coolant is being leaked via the overflow pipe, it may be due to excess combustion pressures, this means in most cases, a head gasket.
My advice is to thoroughly investigate the leak or have it looked at by someone who genuinely knows what they are looking at, not a mate from the pub who has a 998cc car which can beat Veyron's when he's had a few beers. :lol::lol:
Good luck.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back