is it worth it???

For most cars, a properly designed remap is the most cost effective £/bhp improvement available.

As an added bonus, fuel consumption will also be reduced, unless you use the extra power all of the time :)

For a turbo engine it is a no brainer. For most other NASP engines it's a waste of money unless you've had other mods done at the same time.

What engine were you thinking about and have there been other mods?

I would think that the manufacturer would have made a compromise between power, fuel economy and driveability.

Yes, that is why there is room for improvement. Manufacturers have to allow for different driving conditions, variations in maintenance and fuel quality and various emission regulations. With a remap you can tailor your car to your particular situation thereby releasing extra power.

The 1.6 SE was built purely for economy. It's a single cam D16 engine if I remember correctly. They do benefit from a remap, but mainly when with added extra performance parts, such as a 4-2-1 manifold, sports cat and a decent stainless catback exhaust. HKS and AEM make half decent induction kits for the car.