is it worth fixing

prevtec

Pro Tuner
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
had a carash an hour ago
came round the bend doing 100 kph (proper speed limit for the rd)
there was a huge puddle on the right hand side lane, i couldnt slow down as it was just there, swapping lanes wasnt an option either as there was a car next to my left, anyway

the car spun and hit the cables that stop you from crossing over the other side of the rd,
it didnt get a smack, but the damage from these cables really wrecked the front
damage,

2 headlights smashed, 2 quater panels dented (badley) bumber and bar demolished, aircon rad #!#!#!#!ed, bonnet is crimped at the front slightley, but these cables signed their name right accross it, the cross member is dented

ive just finished stripping it, and it needs to be pulled, not the chassis, but the metal frame, thats in front that holds all of the above on and in place
theres also a metal chat that goes right accross the front end thats spot welded in place, this is what really needs to be pulled, its what gives the front of the car its strenght

my question is, if i fix it, will the car be ropey and pull to 1 side??
i can get the parts from a donor car (500 euros est) and 400 to pull it a panel beater will pull it for, but is it worth it??

funny thing about it is that i taxed the car yesterday for 3 months, = 238 euros, and for what, to go sailing on the rd with a car,
irish rds, they make me sick

il say again at this point that the chassis wasent even touched

sould of thing i would of bought when i was doing crash repairs if its not touched the chassis just all the slam panels ect do it if you are going to get a body shop to pull it they will not do it if they think its bad
do it its only a weekend job as most of its bolt on and thin metal you can pull easy

sould of thing i would of bought when i was doing crash repairs if its not touched the chassis just all the slam panels ect do it if you are going to get a body shop to pull it they will not do it if they think its bad
do it its only a weekend job as most of its bolt on and thin metal you can pull easy
thanks mate, as i said its only cosmetic stuff, but will the car panels line up perfect or would i be better off getting 1 thats never been crashed and swap the parts??:D

Oh no buddy..:amazed::sad2::sad2: If it really is damaged that bad I would send it to a good bodyshop. They would prob be able to get things lined up again...... Glad your ok mate...

Oh no buddy..:amazed::sad2::sad2: If it really is damaged that bad I would send it to a good bodyshop. They would prob be able to get things lined up again...... Glad your ok mate...
thanks mate,

ive done some research and found that all that shape prelude are the same, just different engines,
so its a waiting game really to come accross another prelude

theres 1 up the north of ireland,
silver, abs, sunroof = 500 euro, im going to swap everything from mine into another, bit like a project car now

i was pissed when it happened, but when i look at it, for 500 euro, il get a sunroof, abs, and aircon that probably works, plus i can sell parts of it that i dont need

if i fell into a barrel of #!#!#!#!, id come out smelling of roses lol
hopefully sometime soon:D

I feel for you matey. A simiar situation happened to me with my scooby. Some arse dec ided to reverse into it at a silly speed in a car park and pretty much wrote the front end off. I had to get:-

new bonnet
new bumper
2 new wings
2 headlights
2 sidelights
2 indicators
new slam panel
and a new bumper retainer bar.

I was gutted as I didn't see it being economical to repair. But after I did a little of my famous research I managed to source the parts from various second hand parts dealers. The wings, bonnet and bumper I managed to find in the same colour as my car so that saved a small fortune on respraying ;) I decided not to go through the insurance as it would have meant tthat I would have had to have the VOSA do a vehicle check which can take a while. So i did all the repairs myself and spent a great total of £368 and all that got my car back on the road in almost no time at all.

So bottom line, yes it is worth repairing it yourself even if only to sell on and make the money you should ;)

I feel for you matey. A simiar situation happened to me with my scooby. Some arse dec ided to reverse into it at a silly speed in a car park and pretty much wrote the front end off. I had to get:-

new bonnet
new bumper
2 new wings
2 headlights
2 sidelights
2 indicators
new slam panel
and a new bumper retainer bar.

I was gutted as I didn't see it being economical to repair. But after I did a little of my famous research I managed to source the parts from various second hand parts dealers. The wings, bonnet and bumper I managed to find in the same colour as my car so that saved a small fortune on respraying ;) I decided not to go through the insurance as it would have meant tthat I would have had to have the VOSA do a vehicle check which can take a while. So i did all the repairs myself and spent a great total of £368 and all that got my car back on the road in almost no time at all.

So bottom line, yes it is worth repairing it yourself even if only to sell on and make the money you should ;)
my mate is saying its a waste of time swaping engines and stuff over
he reckons drill out the spot welds that hold the bumperbox in place, reweld a new 1 in place (from a donor car), and all the panels should line up perfect, (you wouldnt even know the thing got crashed)

he reckojns half a day will see it sorted, where as it will take a week to transfer everything from the crashed to the new

my question mate is,
even though these bumper bars are spot welded, is it ok to replace these?? and if yes, will the front of the car drive all wrong??

i can get the parts tomorrow as theres loads of them for scrap
waiting for a prelude in good nick (body wise) could be a long wait

im demented without the thing so if its fixable that way without the car driving all wrong, il do that
but if the car will never be the same, il hold off

thanks in advance mate:D

Mate if the damage hasn't touched the front suspension then you should be ok. The spot welded thing is called the slam panel buddy and yes it can be replaced.

Sorry to hear about this mate. I'm sure you can get it all sorted quickly.
great to see you online at this time mate, its been a while

as i said i got all the parts today, i had a go at things today but ran out of daylight

i reckon il pull everything myself, the passanger side is lined up perfect
small dent in the wing, but i have a replacment

the other side is where the most damage is, all the metal is really twisted, but i reckon a full day tomorrow will see me through

as it is now i can drive it no problem, i even have the lights on, but il wait til tomorrow

the worst thing about it now is that i have a 2 tone car, the parts are silver, but i dont care aslong as i have it back soon:D

if its 2 tone at least it gives you an excuse to have a respray
thats true but the car had a respray before i bought it, so the paint work is new, so when i do spray it, it wont look wrong

always wanted midnight purple though?:D

the way it is now is a cheap mistake to make, i wasent hurt, im here talking to ye lot
and it will be sorted for 600 euros the most, not bad for crashing at 100 kph

it could be a lot worse

ok then, ive put on most of the panels and stuff, i just need to put on the plastic inside the wheel arch and tighten up the bumper

il take pics of my handy work tomorrow,
cant wait to get a price for respraying the front end

anyone up for a bank job lol??

im going to get the car tracked on saturday, and il get the mech to look at it whilst hes doing it just incase thres something loose or what around the engine, but she drives ok at the moment so, fingers crossed

cool that mate, cause usuallt if the chasis get's twisted or something, it's so hard then to fix it once again.
yeah mate,
if the chassis was touched, i wouldnt have lined up everything the way i did = v good (first time doing something like that):D
so id say im good for road

spory to hear about this m8, and i opoligise if i am just repeating what may already have been said as i have only skimmed through as am short on time, i not long ago had a front end smash in my rover, similar to you i only had body damage, including front lights bumper bonnet and slam pannel, the rad and intercooler was pushed back leavin the wiring loom inside the cooling fan,
using ratchet straps i managed to pull the slam pannel back straight pulling the rad, intercooler and cooling fan back into place (90% straight, the metal is stretched and wont be the same again) and manged to pick up the replacement lights bumper etc for 50 quid off a scrappy in the same colour, this took me a day and a half to do. but after a weekends worth of steady work and 50 quid later i had my car back on the road, so just to sy really from what i have read it is possible to repair the car, and depending on the donor car it may well be cheaper and easier to just do the repairs rather than swap the engnes, although i dpo like the idea

spory to hear about this m8, and i opoligise if i am just repeating what may already have been said as i have only skimmed through as am short on time, i not long ago had a front end smash in my rover, similar to you i only had body damage, including front lights bumper bonnet and slam pannel, the rad and intercooler was pushed back leavin the wiring loom inside the cooling fan,
using ratchet straps i managed to pull the slam pannel back straight pulling the rad, intercooler and cooling fan back into place (90% straight, the metal is stretched and wont be the same again) and manged to pick up the replacement lights bumper etc for 50 quid off a scrappy in the same colour, this took me a day and a half to do. but after a weekends worth of steady work and 50 quid later i had my car back on the road, so just to sy really from what i have read it is possible to repair the car, and depending on the donor car it may well be cheaper and easier to just do the repairs rather than swap the engnes, although i dpo like the idea
well to get the car back on the rd, i went ahead with getting the parts of a scrapy
the car was still driving as it was, but without a front end, that would draw the wrong kind of attention

i now have most of it done, and i used the rachet straps (great invention)
id say it will be out on the town tomorrow night (cant see why it shouldnt)

the worst about it is i have a black car, and the parts were silver
but to be honest i dont care aslong as shes driving, it is my baby and very much a part of the family

its a balls when #!#!#!#! like this happenes though, but at least il pay for it somehow, im not taxing the car for awhile, it wouldnt have happened if there wasnt a rd flooded around the bend and no warning signs

the irish goverment dont care about rds, but they'll hum and hawn about rd deaths

well to get the car back on the rd, i went ahead with getting the parts of a scrapy
the car was still driving as it was, but without a front end, that would draw the wrong kind of attention

i now have most of it done, and i used the rachet straps (great invention)
id say it will be out on the town tomorrow night (cant see why it shouldnt)

the worst about it is i have a black car, and the parts were silver
but to be honest i dont care aslong as shes driving, it is my baby and very much a part of the family

its a balls when #!#!#!#! like this happenes though, but at least il pay for it somehow, im not taxing the car for awhile, it wouldnt have happened if there wasnt a rd flooded around the bend and no warning signs

the irish goverment dont care about rds, but they'll hum and hawn about rd deaths

Your lucky mate. I'm gonna drop a bombshell..... I'm scrapping the Primera.......:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2: