Is it really a historic car?

JoeLada

Car
Lada 2106
Hi, newbie here looking for some help!

Yesterday I went to check out an old Lada the seller had advertised as being from 1979 and hence with the status of a historic vehicle (v. important for me as I live within the ULEZ!). I checked the registration plate on the DVLA's website and it's down as being registered for the first time 01/01/1979 and he has the logbook with the same date. All seems to add up!

However, when I checked out the VIN number, I noticed that the year on the manufacturer's plate has been defaced and the year letter within the VIN is a "D". I looked this up online and it seems to suggest that the car is actually originally from 07/01/1982-06/30/1982. Checking the VIN on the logbook it's not the full number, just the "D" and the following 7 digits

I have a couple of questions...
1) Is this as it seems and he has passed off a 1982-3 car as being from 1979?
2) If so, how has he got this past the DVLA? Surely the VIN would be a giveaway?
3) If I bought the car, has the question of its age been determined now it is registered? I.e. would I risk it ever being changed to 1982-3 by some sort of check?

Thanks for any help!

Joe

Hi Joe. I too am a newbie here ... but I have been around interesting old cars for decades! Please forgive me if I ask the question,,,why a Lada?

Check for welds, this sounds like two cars have been made out of one, it's common where there is heavy front or rear damage. There can sometime be innocent explanations but personally I would walk away if it doesn't smell right.