Is it difficult for a novice to replace a front wheel bearing ?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
I have a 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI

I am still learning about repairing cars, I have replaced

thermostat
radiator
steering arms + track rod ends
.and a few other relatively simple jobs.

It needs a front wheel bearing, the wheel bearing on these is integral with the hub so I don't think a press is required for the process, right ?

Do you think replacing a front wheel bearing replacement should be fairly okay for me to do and can you offer any tips and/or advice ?

thanks so much

Yes it is quite hard if a press is needed and as you have to get the hub off the driveshaft I think you will still need one. Without one you'll probably wreck the ABS sensor without the correct tool and technique. It sounds simple but there is a lot of work involved if you don't know what you are doing and it can take much longer than it would to get a garage to do it.

Yes it is quite hard if a press is needed and as you have to get the hub off the driveshaft I think you will still need one. Without one you'll probably wreck the ABS sensor without the correct tool and technique. It sounds simple but there is a lot of work involved if you don't know what you are doing and it can take much longer than it would to get a garage to do it.

thanks !

I did the wheel bearing, I had somebody else press out the old bearing and push the new one on but I put it all back together myself and took it all apart by myself. got a little stuck putting the caliper/pads back on as I have never done pads before so had somebody else assist but I did about 90- 95 % of it myself .

thanks for replying !

Well done! That is quite satisfying isn't it. You saved yourself a lot of pain getting the old bearing pressed out!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back