Is drifting racing?

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
As we were going off topic in the "favourite type of racing" thread I've snipped these discussions to form a new debate. Is drifting classified as racing?

o and how is drifting racing?
i was wondering that 2!

perhaps its timed
shrug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: What's your favorite type of racing?

Speed angle and style are all scored in drifting. It is a motorsport so I guess it does have a place here.

Drifting is not in the truest sense a race as speed is not the only factor it is judged on.

I think I'm going off drifting a bit, it is quite a "slow" sport and there are not the thrills and spills you get with rallying which also includes some tail out action.

Last edited:

Drifting isn't timed it runs on points. It is a form of racing imo.
it cant be classed as racing if no racing is involved!!!
Speed angle and style are all scored in drifting. It is a motorsport so I guess it does have a place here.

I think I'm going off drifting a bit, it is quite a "slow" sport and there are not the thrills and spills you get with rallying which also includes some tail out action.
read the title again mate;) so no it doesnt:amuse:

No it's a time trial. You don't actually race anyone except for when they do the arena stuff.
There are drift duals where they compete together.
And anyway. when entering a series of whatever you compete not race.

No it's a time trial. You don't actually race anyone except for when they do the arena stuff.
There are drift duals where they compete together.
And anyway. when entering a series of whatever you compete not race.
time trial or not they are (yet again emphasize the racing bit in bold;)) racing against the clock so the fastest times on the over all stage wins!! yes or no??

time trial or not they are (yet again emphasize the racing bit in bold;)) racing against the clock so the fastest times on the over all stage wins!! yes or no??

Dissagree but I dunno what you mean racing when the title says Motorsport. ;):lol:

Re: What's your favorite type of Motorsport?

Nope. Your not right in technical terms. An it's motorsport now ;)
Drifting is a form of racing it just uses a different system to award a winner.
F1 is actual racing as there are other cars on the circuit and they all start at the same time.
Rallying is a time trialed event Fact. Racing the clock doesn't count. But saying that I'd still call it a form of racing.

You can have a footrace, a dog race, a horse race, a bike race and all other sorts of races. There's no necessary relationship between being in a car and racing any more than there is between wearing sneakers and racing.

So, drifting events aren't necessarily racing. The two-man competitions might be, as could other events that I'm not aware of. Drifting evolved out of methods used in more standard racing events anyway, so even if you want to say it's not racing there is often a racing element to it.

There's more to be said on this but I'd rather just gawk at the pretty cars :amuse:

Drifting is to Racing, in Motor-Sports, What High-Jump is to 100 meter sprint in Athletics.

It is a display or exhibition of Grace and Agility portrayed by an individual competitor, against other competitors, while performing a certain physical act, which could be performed by others, more clumsily,given the means, thus displaying an intricate knowledge of physical processes, including the extent of his/her own abilities instead of mere brute force of man or machine. which is the prerogative in simple speed races.

Thus in events such as these, there is prerogative requirement of brains, as well normal physical ability.

So while both Racing and Drifting can be labeled competitions, both have different criteria to assessment of excellence, where in one it is speed, while in the other it is the spectacle.

Hence Drifting, though inadvertently being labeled a Race, is done so in err, as it does not meet the basics of a Race, in terms of what we have come to understand the meaning of the word today.

Drifting is not in the truest sense a race as speed is not the only factor it is judged on.

As waynne said its scored on speed angle and style but also on how tightly u drift around the curb/turn. But in the underground when i race with a few others it is about comeing in first place and there is no scoring of points as we mentioned

As waynne said its scored on speed angle and style but also on how tightly u drift around the curb/turn. But in the underground when i race with a few others it is about comeing in first place and there is no scoring of points as we mentioned

I guess that would be difficult to do really. If it is a tight course then how does overtaking occur?

Last edited by a moderator:
if, in a "togue" drift, the lead car is over taken by the tailing car UNDER DRIFT CONDITIONS the tailing car wins that single set.
thus that can in a way be classed as racing.