Is AWD the same things as a 4WD (four wheel drive)

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I always thought that AWD and 4WD were the same thing but I heard a couple of people arguing about which was best.

Is this just a one maker calls it AWD, another four wheel drive and another Quattro or are there important differences between AWD and 4WD car transmissions?

Which is better if they are different?

I always thought that AWD and 4WD were the same thing but I heard a couple of people arguing about which was best.

Is this just a one maker calls it AWD, another four wheel drive and another Quattro or are there important differences between AWD and 4WD car transmissions?

Which is better if they are different?
Definitely not. All wheel drive generally refers to a vehicle which can drive all four wheels, but generally does not all of the time, examples are those using the Haldex system, like Yeti, Octavia, Rav4, Crv etc. By definition a four wheel drive is still capable of driving four wheels but in contrast it is selectable four wheel drive, so those vehicles with 2 wd, 4wd High ratio and the all important Low ratio transfer box. These vehicles are classed as Off Road, rather than the preceeding vehicles usually called All Road. So in this category you have your Land rover, Land cruisers, Suzuki Jimny, Hafflinger, Unimogs etc. On a side note, some road /tracks in Australia are designated "suitable for 4wd only" not for "All wheel drive" and woe betide you should you need a extraction and you are in the wrong vehicle......
I hope this clarifies.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back