Is anyone interested ?

Country Bumpkin

Track Warrior
Car
GTO T.T.
Whilst building another engine today i wondered if any of you lot would be interested in some tech stuff along the lines of using plasti-gauge to measure the clearance on crank bearings, measuring and gapping piston rings etc ?
Unfortunately i didn't take any phots as my brainwave didn't occur until the bottom end was built and i was putting the heads on. It is something i could do at some stage though if there was enough interest. The amount of full engine builds i do is obviously dependent on demand but it's normally a couple a month so it wouldn't take too long to put something together. In fact it would probably take ages to get everything uploaded but i could add bits to a topic once i had started it.
I have another engine waiting for me to strip and rebuild anyway so it's not too far off, just got to get this current one out of the engine shop.

Just a thought.

This sounds fantastic, something worth putting on the main site when finished as well! Try and get some pics next time as well.;)

O.k. i'll start taking phots when i get the next one on a stand and show one from damaged crank upwards.
Don't expect this to be a quick post and on the board next week, :bigsmile:. I have plenty of stuff to be getting on with other than just engines.
I did promise Waynne that i'd do a write up on injectors and flow testing and their results etc, but kind of lost heart when i read that no-one is that interested in facts, rather in believing what they hear down the pub than what can be shown to them.

CB: Facts please, as like to refer to this stuff when am doing things myself. - would be very interested myself in the injectors as plan to get an older STi which can can monkey about on the engine with and will need to uprate the injectors and fiddle with the flows on this - will be going for maximum power, will be changing internals as well.

O.k. i'll start taking phots when i get the next one on a stand and show one from damaged crank upwards.
Don't expect this to be a quick post and on the board next week, :bigsmile:. I have plenty of stuff to be getting on with other than just engines.
I did promise Waynne that i'd do a write up on injectors and flow testing and their results etc, but kind of lost heart when i read that no-one is that interested in facts, rather in believing what they hear down the pub than what can be shown to them.

Don't lose heart, if I put the article on the main site it will be read at least 50 times per day and probably more. Some articles get over 400 reads per day! It'll be good to give your business a plug as well so there would be something in it for you;)

I am sure that a lot of folks would read your article about rebuilding an engine, I personally, eagerly look forward to reading them

"what's a plasti gauge, i am sure you know a thickness gauge to measure bearing clearance."

"Plastigage" is a deformable plastic strip in various thicknesses, you cut off a bit that is the same width as the crank journal you wish to measure, put the bearing cap on, torque to specified manufacturer's poundage, remove cap, and measure the "spread" of the deformation on the handy gauge supplied with the strip thickness in use. Saves a lot of time from the old methods of checking bearing clearances-which I won't go into here-

This would be a great how to, looking forward to seeing the end results on here, what a boon this would be to all who tinker, or mess about with engines.

I will have another crank back soon which has been reground, i'll take some phots and get some words together. I took a phot before it went to the engineers, so i haven't forgotten. Please bare with me, i am very busy with many things as usual. :bigsmile: