Is 4WD dead

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Many car makers are stopping or considering reducing their models with 4 wheel drive. This is primarily due to the lower fuel economy offered and the extra manufacturing costs.

When Ford release an RS Focus which throws 300 odd BHP through the front wheels via a clever diff is there much of a need for 4WD.

Will Subaru ever make a 2WD model? Do you think the Quattro days are numbered?

surely regardless of how clever the technicians get it would still be better to haven the power driving 4 wheels as opposed to two - especially when you are getting to above these kind of power levels.
for subaru fuel economy has never been much of a concern - my dad had a subaru about 20 yrs ago ('A' reg - not a justy) cant remember exactly what model but it had an 1.8l engine and 4wd optional (in normal mode it was 2wd but had a level to pull up to engage 4wd), it did 20 milles to the gallon whatever the speed, my current impreza's not far off this, and this car must have been out just after the previous oil crisis? (actually dont know the year A reg came out so a bit of a presumption).

i think theres still a place for it, maybe just not on the road as much. Off roaders will still require it can you see a defender or jeep trying to do an off road course with just FWD or RWD it aint going to be going anywhere

I do hope not. I love the Torsen AWD system in the W8. Runs rings around even the Haldex Quattro system in my cousins S3.

HDi - so how about power considerations, if a 2 wheel drive car dont you lose on performance for very powerful engines as even with electronics they would have to regulate how much power was being sent to just 2 wheels instead of 4 at the same time. i.e. if you push the power through 2 front wheels only wont the electronics would have to scale the power back to avoid damaging driveshafts etc... whereas with 4wd the power could be distributer over a wider area giving better lift off? i really dont know about electronics so just a comment and interested to hear if correct or not. thanks (as obviously cutting from 4wd to 2wd could save considerable weight)

You're totally correct. The question asked was "IS 4WD dead?".

And, yes, I think it is for the most part. Because electronic systems are being used as a cheap substitute. I didn't say that I was in favour, did I?

There's no doubt that it's superior to 2wd in all ways except perhaps some friction losses and weight.

WRC Rules Killed 4wd Due to car manufacturers no longer needing to homologate there cars to enter rally,, Ford have realy lost my support as i was a real big ford fan but sorry to say this ford has put profits before customers,, Rs = Rally sports = Rally focus = 4wd
road car = 2wd...

you could say that with just about all the teams in the WRC how many of theyre cars are road standard 4wd

HDIs right its now at a point where you can run stupid power through the front wheels, yes power is limited to begin with but in higher gears where theres resistance and more traction then the full torque can be applyied with little or no issues.
would say the RWD is still the best way to go, however it costs more

I would still say that 4WD is the ultimate route - and it's something I'd like to see reborn in current high performance cars. An M5 with ability to transfer excess torque to the front would be sublime. It would probably end the road for traditional RWD supercars.

I've only driven a couple of supercars, and both long after their conception and birth:

Ferrari 328 GTS and Porsche 928 S4 (not sure if that really qualifiies). By far the Porsche is far more useable, and possibly quicker than the 328.

The 328 was brutal and fun, in a kind of nervous way.

Either would be anodyne with 4wd.

But, the Porsche 959 from the late 1980s (yet again Hdi's favourite era - when diesels where stinking smoking slow things) was 4wd. I've never seen one, never mind driven one.

Electronic stability systems do allow massive amounts of power and torque to be shoved through a fwd transmission but it's not ideal.

RWD is compromised as well.

4wd is the way - sadly it's decline is all around us - it's down to cost basically.

saddler - if Ford wont do it do it yourself, will post some pics soon but my old man has just made a 4wd talbot sunbeam using a sierra floorplan - you can pick up the old 4x4's for cheap money and as you only need the running gear it doesnt matter if the rest of the cars a complete dog - perhaps you could do somethnig similar with the Focus?

you could say that with just about all the teams in the WRC how many of theyre cars are road standard 4wd

HDIs right its now at a point where you can run stupid power through the front wheels, yes power is limited to begin with but in higher gears where theres resistance and more traction then the full torque can be applyied with little or no issues.
would say the RWD is still the best way to go, however it costs more
I agree.. but only ford are trying to fob buyers off to think 300bhp fwd with quaife gizmo kit is going to work,,, :sad2:

The 300bhp FWD car (although torque is what we're really considering not BHP) will be perfectly safe. Ford will make it so. Simply by using torque limiting engine management in first and second gears and judicious use of brake applications and partial diff locking.

It's not ideal - it would be quicker as a rwd or 4wd but that would cost too much