Introducing my self And my car

Lambdog

Car
Astra gtc VXR
Hi my name is jay 50 years old Live in Dorset close to Weymouth. Love driving fast
My current car is a Astra Gtc VXR Aero just fitted a helical diff which is a mental no more whining Upgrade from the stock diff, decat first stage, Turbo smart recirt valve, induction kit, and a stage 1 remap from Ozmo Dorset sitting at 310 bhp.
I have the second Decat as I've been told I need it for stage 2 remapping but when I checked on Courtney sports website they can go to stage 3 and not remove the second cat which is a bit puzzling.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Glad you're enjoying the site, it's taken many years of work to get it to this point, and we keep trying to improve it.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Stages are very very subjective terms, a stage 2 from one company will make as much power as a stage 3 from another, and I've heard of some companies offering upto stage 6. see https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/tuning-stages.php

They are best interpreted as kit 1, kit 2 and kit3.

Removing a cat might affect emissions when the first cat starts to go, so I'd always suggest a sports cat is used instead. It sounds like you've got your car nicely setup though.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Glad you're enjoying the site, it's taken many years of work to get it to this point, and we keep trying to improve it.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Stages are very very subjective terms, a stage 2 from one company will make as much power as a stage 3 from another, and I've heard of some companies offering upto stage 6. see https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/tuning-stages.php

Removing a cat might affect emissions when the first cat starts to go, so I'd always suggest a sports cat is used instead. It sounds like you've got your car nicely setup though.
I do have a question ! I have the standard exhaust on my VXR, I've replaced the first down pipe from the turbo and it runs great, and a nice aggressive sound, when I replaced the second cat with the standard exhaust the vibration was extremely high and it almost felt like the engine bushes had To much play,

could I be right in saying the back pressure in to the standard exhaust is to high ?

when I would pull off it sounded like the rear brakes were on and creaked but once it got going and it was driving it was a pretty savage driving experience and extremely loud scary loud, I put the second cat back on she runs sweet as a nut, but front the vibrations the 02 sensor had come loose about 3 whole turns and the front gearbox mount bottom bolt had vibrated out

The thing was the exhaust wasn't touching anything and everything was tight. I can only think that because I don't have a cat back exhaust on it that's the issue !!! Can I go from a 3" downpipe into a 2.72 cat back exhaust system or do I need to have a 3" system all the way through ?
thanks

Rubber exhaust mounts sometimes take a while to bed in and if I take them off i'd put new ones on, as the old ones usually die quite quickly after they've been detached and remounted.

You can switch exhaust sizes but it must not be in steps, you need sloping cone shaped transitions.

Interestingly a 2.72 exhaust will flow faster than a 3 inch. But the 3 inch will be able to flow more gases in the long run, with exhausts it's all about finding the sweet spot for your engine, and when you've upped the power it's quite normal for intake headers or exhaust components to become restrictive.

Rubber exhaust mounts sometimes take a while to bed in and if I take them off i'd put new ones on, as the old ones usually die quite quickly after they've been detached and remounted.

You can switch exhaust sizes but it must not be in steps, you need sloping cone shaped transitions.

Interestingly a 2.72 exhaust will flow faster than a 3 inch. But the 3 inch will be able to flow more gases in the long run, with exhausts it's all about finding the sweet spot for your engine, and when you've upped the power it's quite normal for intake headers or exhaust components to become restrictive.
Just to add, that it's important to have sufficient backpressure in the system so you don't loose engine torque and power. You can very easily overbore, but at the same time if you are running a turbo, you need to keep gas flow speed high and keep the gasses as hot as possible to the exit.

As gas cools is looses pressure and gas flow can fall off as it travels the length of the car. And this is where heat shielding comes into play on super high performance vehicles. If we are talking about a turbo engine, the best exhaust is no exhaust... Literally.... Get the gas out of the way to make way for more. This is not the case for non turbos. So as Obi say its finding the sweet spot. A smaller diameter tube will provide a faster gas flow without doubt, and so will keeping the gasses hot.... But, it has to be balanced with practicalities. I suggest having a chat with these chaps, what they don't know and can't do really isnt worth the bother, top notch. https://www.jpexhausts.co.uk/ Hope this helps

Last edited:

I do have a question I have the standard exhaust on my VXR I've replaced the first down pipe from the turbo and it runs great when I replaced the second cat with still the standard exhaust the vibration was really high and it almost felt like the engine bushes had a lot of movement could I be right in saying the back pressure in to the standard exhaust was to high when I would pull off it sounded like the rear brakes were on and creaked but once it got going and it was driving it was pretty savage driving experience and extremely loud scary loud when putting my foot down when I took the exhaust back off and put the second cat back on she runs sweet as a nut but front the vibrations the 02 sensor had come loose and the front gearbox mount bottom bolt had vibrated out thing was the exhaust wasn't touching anything everything was tight

hi thanks for your input on this I have found out other information since I asked the questions but the info about the 2.72" exhaust is very interesting. After talking to Courtney sport about stage 2 and 3 I think the 3" exhaust would help To disperse heat while still having the second cat installed and there also saying they can take it to 350 brake with the second cat still fitted Just received my new intercooler and lower Strut brace
I've been looking at coilovers but which make would best Suit the car and if I remove the originals, won't that bring up warning lights on the dash, or is there a way I can improve the stock shocks ? maybe replace the springs To adjust the ride height ?
Cheers Jason

|B

As gas cools is looses pressure and gas flow can fall off as it travels the length of the car. And this is where heat shielding comes into play on super high performance vehicles. If we are talking about a turbo engine, the best exhaust is no exhaust... Literally.... Get the gas out of the way to make way for more. This is not the case for non turbos. So as Obi say its finding the sweet spot. A smaller diameter tube will provide a faster gas flow without doubt, and so will keeping the gasses hot.... But, it has to be balanced with practicalities. I suggest having a chat with these chaps, what they don't know and can't do really isnt worth the bother, top notch. https://www.jpexhausts.co.uk/ Hope this helps

I totally agree with this A turbo will produce the most power with ZERO back pressure |B

Hi there and welcome to the site. There is a wealth of knowledge on here, and although you might not get many replies or much off topic banter the tips you get are worth their weight in gold and I would take quality over quantity any day.

I hope you stick around and add your voice to the unique community that only TorqueCars.

I do have a question I have the standard exhaust on my VXR I've replaced the first down pipe from the turbo and it runs great when I replaced the second cat with still the standard exhaust the vibration was really high and it almost felt like the engine bushes had a lot of movement could I be right in saying the back pressure in to the standard exhaust was to high when I would pull off it sounded like the rear brakes were on and creaked but once it got going and it was driving it was pretty savage driving experience and extremely loud scary loud when putting my foot down when I took the exhaust back off and put the second cat back on she runs sweet as a nut but front the vibrations the 02 sensor had come loose and the front gearbox mount bottom bolt had vibrated out thing was the exhaust wasn't touching anything everything was tight

hi thanks for your input on this I have found out other information since I asked the questions but the info about the 2.72" exhaust is very interesting. After talking to Courtney sport about stage 2 and 3 I think the 3" exhaust would help To disperse heat while still having the second cat installed and there also saying they can take it to 350 brake with the second cat still fitted Just received my new intercooler and lower Strut brace
I've been looking at coilovers but which make would best Suit the car and if I remove the originals, won't that bring up warning lights on the dash, or is there a way I can improve the stock shocks ? maybe replace the springs To adjust the ride height ?
Cheers Jason
Hello,
I’m new to this forum, any car forum this is. So I will just say it as I think it and I’ll be corrected and learn from the knowledgeable right lol.
Today I had ST-X Coilovers put in my 2016 BK Astra. I’m stoked with the difference in handling and t me feels like it grips to road more when accelerating. On the paperwork given it tells me 620mm all round lower 25.4mm I’ve no idea what this reflects to but I like it. Reason for my comment is I’ve no warning lights pop up. Coilovers made to car specs imported to Aus from KW Suspensions Germany $1,626.45aud

I’ve also had is it to say a Catback 3” down to 2.5” sports exhaust installed and from reading I’m not having a stage 1 but a kit 1 done next Monday to my 2016 Holden BK Astra 1.6T

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back