Introducing ME and this BMW E36 Touring 318TDS Project!

Car
BMW E36 318TDS
:cool:Hello dear Torqueheads. My name is Oliver.

I have to say that first of all: for years i've been throwing money at some older BMW's, petrols, because 6-in-line and 90's iconic styling hmmmm... fun and joy? or adoration and thrills rather maybe....

Me i am a gypsy-singer-mechanic-alpha-greasemonkey with a big heart. Makes sense? no/yes? Good. Depending on this forum's member's reactions you will understand what i mean when we conversate more later in other topics....If i do not forget to take these delicious car-on-jackstands-suicidal-coffin-pictures of STUFF i will be doing once again.

Rather to a diesel for the first time. Exciting!!!

Now i got this purple metallic E36 318TDS Touring for a stupid 200 euros from a friend. Said yes to i after doubting for a month. Just sold my daily '92 E36 2.0 Coupe, and so now it'll be a '97 E36 1.8 Touring.
Ofcourse i know BMW's, from that era, enough by now to love this chassis and the ease of working on it. So it was time to accept the diesel-challenge...

I already spent a 1000 on parts that are on their way. Wasn't the plan. anyway. Youknowhowitgoes!
for ex: and H&R Cup kit (springs and dampers), new glowplugs, filters, oil, new LuK clutchkit, rear lights, etc etc.....

Also i have been very pleased to research this NEW DIMENSION of motoring on the engine technology-side let's say.
I can say that i am a good mechanic. more than that also inventive and not very lazy when challenges come.

THE PLAN?
Well, besides of the renovation of most mechanical parts/suspension and fixing the electrical bits here n there I WANNA PUT A BIGGER TURBO.
This thing has a Garrett 1544S turbo originally, and i might upgrade it to a T25 flange Garrett 1548 model.
check here for fun readup specs!
garrett-gt15-gt1544-both-150-hp-turbos

garrett-gt15-gt1548-200-hp

SO. Cheap ebay chips are already on the way. Might have been a waste, but that is okay. No negativity.
I am EXTREMELY curious and wanting for more experienced POSITIVE NON DICKHEAD-TROLLS who wanna help finetune my knowledge so i don't muck up this engine immediately. i already know A LOT about petrols, and i understand most diesel related differences let's say BY READING UP A LOT.

The engine is a M41 on which there's really not a lot of info, which is kinda funny when there's SOO MUCH going on STILL around the petrols from BMW.
So i feel a little bit on my own, yet i BELIEVE this thing can ROCK. in a modest way. I wanna keep my gearbox for another let's say 25000km's at least.

THANK YOU and a million fistbumps!

(the pic is the exact same car from an older thread, more pics coming)
10471519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

I sorted out the issue you emailed me about. It's really nice to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the site.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

I am full of questions and ready to fire them off, yet still doing research.

If anyone is experienced with Bosch VP34 pumps lemme know for example...

[Links removed as per our terms and conditions]

THANK YOU ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
like above nice intro! you kept me reading till the end ! fist pumps lol...

Hey Oliver, have you some updates about your project?

I have a 318tds and i want to tune it too. I want to upgrade the turbo. Maybe upgrade the original turbo.

Greetings from Austria

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back