Interiors are getting smaller

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that car interiors are getting smaller? I've sat in a lot of premium brands of large cars and they really don't seem to have much in the way of interior leg room.

I guess the plush seats and side impact protection beams all help to eat up the space.

I don't know that last time I sat in the back of a car and thort ''This is roomey''

Probably when I was about 8!

Its all padded out with what you said Waynne. Gone are they days a real size man can get into a back of a volvo and lie back and relax, with his mate in the front with the seat right back.

Think about it, when we compared cars back 15-20 years they did not have the following:
  • Thorax airbags.
  • ABC pillar curtain airbags.
  • Passenger airbags.
  • Door beams.
  • Crumple dashboards etc.
  • Rear seat pockets.
  • Bigger seats to take the electrics and tensioner systems.
This little lot has compressed the interior volume somewhat. I remember many years ago when working on the then new Avensis that the roof pressing cavity that was to house the side impact curtain was too small. I had to inform the engineers that if they wanted the curtain installed they would need to open up the cavity. The curtain was made as small as it possibly could with a section of 30x16mm and still wouldn't fit as they had forgotten the burst tethering tape. Needless to say they scrapped the pressing and had to make a new one.

Yes. Sitting in the GIGANTIC Dodge Challenger that has less interior space than my little 85 mustang. Yes. The car is enormous, but the seats are so poofy and all the airbags, etc. yes. I'm a fairly small guy 5'4" 140lbs and if I was in that back seat, I'd be cramped. there're not many cars nowadays that you can really stretch out in. hehe

I'm not sure they are getting smaller but I do seem to buy larger cars each time I buy a car. Not that I change cars very often though. Perhaps that's why I have not noticed.

the 107 i got was so small the drivers seat fully back wasnt enough and a toddler would have struggled to sit behind me so yup theyre getting smaller.

saying that cars are also getting alot bigger now to gain back some interior space

I thought the same about car interiors also, but then I realised my waist size had gone up from 34 to 36" so maybe it's just me who's getting bigger :embarrest:

:lol::lol:

The new Fiesta's feel roomy inside for such a small car.
But put it the side of a Mk1 Fiesta and it will look massive.

i think the small/medium car segment has made great strides in interior packaging. But cars are getting bigger as well. This is why cars such as the VW Lupo and Seat Arosa have appeared. The Polo is now the size of a 1980's Golf, for example.

The downside with this is that maintenance is difficult. Changing a brake lamp in a Fiesta is quite involved now I'm led to believe. Some cars need the front bumper removing to replace a headlamp bulb.

i think the small/medium car segment has made great strides in interior packaging. But cars are getting bigger as well. This is why cars such as the VW Lupo and Seat Arosa have appeared. The Polo is now the size of a 1980's Golf, for example.

The downside with this is that maintenance is difficult. Changing a brake lamp in a Fiesta is quite involved now I'm led to believe. Some cars need the front bumper removing to replace a headlamp bulb.

I agree with this statement the space inside my Corsa D is quite spacious although at 5'11 very few people can sit behind me and as for changing the headlight bulbs you have to remove the front bumper and the headlights.:embarrest:

I agree with this statement the space inside my Corsa D is quite spacious although at 5'11 very few people can sit behind me and as for changing the headlight bulbs you have to remove the front bumper and the headlights.:embarrest:

I'm a genuine 6'4" in bare feet and I know exactly what you mean.

Cars get bigger every generation and then makers have to slot a new little model in. The current mondeo is as big as an old granada or scorpio. The current fiesta is as big as our 54 plate focus.

It makes you wonder where this will go in the next 10 years! Will car seats be like armchairs?

My Insignis is a reverse tardis.
It seem huge on the outside pretty small inside.
I am 5"10 with the seat in my position theres little legroom behind me.