Interior Painting:Old plastic parts *help*

Jonny1790

Hey all, well i just got my first car and this is my first post here also and want to do some interior touching up. Some of the interior parts being of a cheap type of plastic are 'flakey' and when you use your nail and apply force to the surface, some paint scratches off. Now i read the Plastic Painting Tips found on the site (http://www.torquecars.com/styling/plastic-painting.php) and noticed that some of the mentioned painting necessities arent available at my local car parts dealership. ( I live in the Caribbean, Barbados to be exact).
I tried some grade 80 sand paper to one of the parts and the paint/surface came off with ease revealing a rough grayish surface and i was thinking that since i cannot find the plastic primer/adhesion promoter if i can use a normal white primer made for plastic surfaces and then use the base coat or, after cleaning the old paint off, just base coating it because of the already rough surface.

Any help would be appreciated :)

if you have primer then use it definately, and then a basecoat. the reason the paint flaked might be to do with it not being lacquered. can't you get any sealer spray where you are situated?

thanks for the reply, but do you mean lacquer? cuz i really cant find any but then again i've only looked in one place. Would a hardware have that? And would a base coat with a kind of gloss be the same or nope?

primer -> basecoat -> sealer. bodywork shops should have some, go for aerosol, and i think hardware shops should stock it. have you tried the internet? gloss paint usually still need a sealer to add durability and life to your masterpieces :p

well i guess tomorrow i'll go check some places thanks alot :D but really nooby question, what about an epoxy black glossy finish. I saw these in aerosol form by the place i checked and was wondering about them. :?