Intake & Valve Cleaning...

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
Hey All.

Anybody able to make recommendations on a good garage able to take the top off my RS4 engine and clean the intake and valves? I know they're known for heavy amounts of carbon build-up thanks to the FSI, so I figured I may do some preventative maintenance before it becomes a problem...

audi garage? they may be abit expensive but if you can afford an rs4 you can afford the maintainance :p :lol:

what about your local tuning garage or even a local garage?

HDi. The FSI on te V8's is bad for it, seriously. At 50k it'll be full of crap, honestly. Just do a bit of Google'ing for RS4 and carbon buildup.

It's an after effect of the direct injection, nothing cleans the valves.

I wasn't sure if a main-dealer would entertain such a task?

the people that i knew that would do it no only stick to quick in and out jobs due to more money in that

must say i did not know they did it

not done anything like that in years as they dont coke up now

Good fuel and battering it all the time should help lessen the rate of carbon build up?

First I've heard of this but I'm not Audi enthusiast. They really sell an engine that needs the top end cleaning every 50k? That's faulty in my book...

Good fuel and battering it all the time should help lessen the rate of carbon build up?

First I've heard of this but I'm not Audi enthusiast. They really sell an engine that needs the top end cleaning every 50k? That's faulty in my book...

In my book too!

The problem is the DI. All diesels suffer from this even if they're the IDI type because the fuel is injected downstream of the intake valves.

Turbos make it worse still. EGR's also add to crudding up of intake systems.

You could try that foaming stuff which is sprayed in downstream of the MAF but some poeple claim to have experienced problems subsequently. Hard to know if the foam cleaner caused the problem though or if the problem was going to occur anyway. Some people forge causal links which in reality aren't factual.

The problem is the DI. All diesels suffer from this even if they're the IDI type because the fuel is injected downstream of the intake valves.

Turbos make it worse still. EGR's also add to crudding up of intake systems.

You could try that foaming stuff which is sprayed in downstream of the MAF but some poeple claim to have experienced problems subsequently. Hard to know if the foam cleaner caused the problem though or if the problem was going to occur anyway. Some people forge causal links which in reality aren't factual.

Audi RS4 Diesel????
When did that happen???

It will one day TN! The Lemans car is a TDI!

Rob - check the manual. Mine recommends a steady run at 3000 rpm for 15 minutes or so. It is set to run slightly hotter at that RPM range and burns off these deposits that build up. Also using a good quality fuel will minimise the build up.

Unless you are getting pre ignition or other soot related issues I wouldn't bother taking the head off. Also if I did get the head taken off I'd also get it ported and a 3/5 angle valve job done. CNC cylinder heads do very good work and probably offer a swap out replacement head service.

Good quality fuel won't make any difference, the whole problem is with FSI Injection, the fuel gets injected directly into the cylinder, so any 'cleaning' properties in the fuel don't clean the intake. It's a known problem on Audi FSI Petrol engines, particularly the high revving ones... and the RS4 hits the limiter at 8500rpm...

Wayne - that link doesn't work?

This is a difficult one, isn't it? Of course, all diesels are injected into the combustion chamber (or pre-chamber) directly so these, too, must suffer the same problem. But, perhaps not because there is no throttle in a diesel engine and the free moving air helps reduce the amount of junk deposited.

This is a good case for maintaining superb quality air filtration, not as if there's ever a case for crap filtration anyway.

I referred to diesels because all derv engines inject fuel downstream of the intake valves. Which is exactly what VAG's FSi does, or, indeed any other DI petrol engine does.

It's the fuel delivery to which I was referring, not the fuel type.

The inflexion, or emphasis, was on 'diesel', not on 'All'.

Having re-read it was slightly ambiguous, I agree, but surely you know well enough that I know well enough that a TFSi engine isn't a diesel fuelled engine.

Aaaannnyyyway....

They do coke up, I'm just after recommendations on somewhere competent to clean it ;)

Aaaannnyyyway....

They do coke up, I'm just after recommendations on somewhere competent to clean it ;)

I wish I could help you Rob! although I do find it a little strange, that with your vast knowledge and assuming that you were aware of this little anomaly, that you still purchased this particular car! It must be some vehicle if the fault is beknown to you, yet you still buy it! :blink::)

I wish I could help you Rob! although I do find it a little strange, that with your vast knowledge and assuming that you were aware of this little anomaly, that you still purchased this particular car! It must be some vehicle if the fault is beknown to you, yet you still buy it! :blink::)

Best all rounder I have ever owned... yes the intakes coke, but i'll be at 100'000 miles before I start thinking about it again. Still hitting 400bhp so its not killing it, but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to TLC for cars. I swear anybody who buys my old car gets the bargain of the century.

Most cars have flaws or known faults.. the RS4's coke their intakes and the DRC suspension explodes every now and again. The W8's are a bitch for coils, cam adjusters and torque converter's. The Range Rover's are known for their air suspension faults amongst other electrical gremlins and the Freelander's cease their rear IRD. All car's I've bought and never regretted buying.

The more complex a car, the more there is to go wrong... but the more fun they are to own. I'd prefer to own a tech packed beast that faulters every now and again and needs a bit of TLC than your typical 'shopping car' that never goes wrong but bores the pants off ya :lol:

I must admit to being a little OCD about my baby myself :lol:
I now understand totally where your coming from! I hope it all goes well for you! :)

There is an intake cleaner you can buy that is sprayed into the manifold and this burns off the carbon, it is a lot cheaper than a strip down and just as effective.

This is what you need to get, then you can book me in for a treatment as well. :D

I'm nervous about such a product. If you saw the gunk these things built up, you'd not want to be putting anything through that'll loosen it. I want the intake manifold off, and somebody with a skilled and careful hand to clean it :)

What we really need is for the fuel companies to add nanobots to the fuel to do this cleaning for us. (Although we'd still need to get them in the intake stream somehow!)