insuring a cavalier gsi

kieran macca

Tuner
Car
nope
hello, i'm 17 and im lukin 2 insure my cavalier gsi 2000
the cheapest quote i can get is around £3000
if i get the car insured under my mum it costs £242!:amazed:
i was wondering if its ok 2 get the car insured under my mum and if its legal 4 me 2 drive it that way.
any help is greatly appreciated
thank you

Hi mate and welcome to TorqueCars. First up I can't speak for Irelands insurers but I can't imagine they are much different from the UK.

This is called "fronting" where someone insures a car for another. Insurers will need to know the main driver and wll base the quote on that. This usually means that you as the additional driver will not be able to use the car for travel to work or college.

Sometimes learners get really low quotes and then when you pass you will get a massive hike in the premium as you are no longer supervised.

If you had an accident or claim it would then be on your mums record and she will likely lose no claims discount!

Then when you get to 23 and all you mates are getting a 60%+ no claims discount you will be stuck with high premiums and no discount of your own.

I hope this clarifies some of the issues for you.

what would happen if i wasnt added as an additional driver? would i still be allowed to drive the car?

and also at the age of 23 ill have the money to afford dear insurance so it wnt b a problem lol. but thanks for the info, it helpd me a lot :D

If your names not on the policy - unless its insured for anybody to drive - then your not insured for it, so its a no no.

what waynnes on about is the max no claims you chould have that would save heavily on the insurance
for example your paying £3000 most insurance companies give around 70% discount for 5 years this will mean you policy will be around £900 - stlll seems high but remember your also paying a premuin for being a young inexperianced driver, under 21. would take a guess that the same car woul cost you around £400 - 500 at 23.

also are you trying to insure the car fully comp ? for a cavi i would advise doing it just 3rd party. you will pay less but not get anything if you wirte the car off. then again book value of a cavi is low anyway so you would get next nothing back on your premuim.

hello, i'm 17 and im lukin 2 insure my cavalier gsi 2000
the cheapest quote i can get is around £3000
if i get the car insured under my mum it costs £242!:amazed:
i was wondering if its ok 2 get the car insured under my mum and if its legal 4 me 2 drive it that way.
any help is greatly appreciated
thank you

Is that second price just your mum insured? Or is it a quote with your mum as the policy holder and you as a named driver?

aw i c now. i think it is 3rd party only. and if i wrote off the cavy i wud jus buy another to save the bother lol. thanks again for the info and help.

Is that second price just your mum insured? Or is it a quote with your mum as the policy holder and you as a named driver?

^^^ yes dis is just for my mum. i'll get some quotes with my mum as the policy holder and me as a named driver and tell you the best price :]

moneysupermarket.com is where i got this info from: the cheapest quote for my mum as the proposer and me as an additional driver is £8029!!! it is third party only.
am i doing something wrong or is this what i should expect from a gsi?

There are a few things against you here. 1) Your age and experience 2) The Car is pretty powerful 3) The car is quite big and therefore more accident prone.

Try getting a few quotes in your name for it. I think you may have to change your plans a little (like we all had to when we were starting out!)

The problem insurers have with old vauxhall's is they are so easy to nick. Yes they are quite a powerfull car but I think the main concern is that they are easily nicked. Get a thatcham alarm fitted with full closure. And also tell them it's parked in a locked garage overnight. These will bring the premium down but don't expect much of a drop.

well if i change my plans i would have 2 sell my gsi which i don't want 2 do because its so clean.
how much would a thatcham alarm cost?

if i got the car insured under my mum only and i was driving the car and got stopped by the police, what would happen? i no i wouldnt be covered for accidents but would i be able to legally drive the car?

well if i change my plans i would have 2 sell my gsi which i don't want 2 do because its so clean.
how much would a thatcham alarm cost?

if i got the car insured under my mum only and i was driving the car and got stopped by the police, what would happen? i no i wouldnt be covered for accidents but would i be able to legally drive the car?

I used to be a named driver under my mums insurance and I got stopped a couple of times and nothing happened all is legal that way.

Dont ever under any circumstances drive a car without being insured for it.

1) If you have an accident you are personally liable for all costs
2) You will be fined heavily given points and or banned
3) You will find it really hard getting any insurance cover in the future
4) The police computer will show them if your car is insured or not, even the CCTV images are tied into a database and they are using No plate recognition.
5) The registered owner of the car will have to declare either that you were driving without their permission (leaving you also with a car theft conviction) or they admit to aiding abeting counselling or procuring you to drive unisnured and will share a similar fine and endorsement.

aw thats why lol. i didnt think it would be that serious. things are getting a bit clearer for me now. thanks for that. ive been trying to find that out for a long time.
on sites like comparethemarket.com and moneysupermarket.com is there any way of choosing a higher voluntary excess than £1000?

Keep the car off the road. Do a lower mileage for a discount. Add an adult to your policy. Few insurers will offer a £1000 excess though.

ok, thats what i'll do.
im also considering buying a 1.7td and insuring that because i got a quote for £695 for it.
i could then get the car remapped and perhaps get a gsi bodykit for the look and extra power. then when i'm older i could insure the gsi for a cheaper price and be very happy :D

if i did that what should i do to the 1.7td to get the extra power gains along with the remap? i was thinking of an exhaust system but not sure what else would provide extra power.

once more, thanks for all the help, i appreciate it.

I'm not sure you can remap the 1.7TD. Personally I think you should just sit tight for a year or so with a lesser car and do up the GSi in the meantime ready for when your insurance is more reasonable.

dats actually a betr idea. got a few other cars in mind dat i wudnt mind drivin plus cheap insurance. da gsi will b some machine once i get it insured :D could do a lot f savin n b able 2 afford da insurance in a year. and if i have no claims den i fink its sumfin lyk 30% off my premium. sounds good enough.
thanks for all da help that u all gave especially from waynne.