Insurance claim advice.

vr1066

Torque Junkie
Hi guys n gals,

Hoping y’all can give me some advice.

The other day after a long day at work I was in my street about to park when a car came along the road. It's a narrow road so I decide to roll the car back and let the on coming driver through.

On doing so I rolled onto a neighbours car (very lightly bumped it).... Dilemma

The damage looked minimal just a couple of scratches on the paintwork and a little dent on the arch cover. I left my details all the same and the person got in touch (thanking me for being honest). I have taken photos of the damage and asked my mate about a rough price, as he's a body technician/panel beater. My mate reckoned from the photos that if the guy went to "real" garage that it would be around £200-£250.

I have spoken with my neighbour and he said he would go to the garage he uses and get a quote...

Here the kick in the knackers, I got his quote through today, £349.95!

I'm in shock, what do I do?

I had planned to pay for it my self so not to effect my insurance. I don't have any no claims as I am the named driver on my car but thought the less claims the better.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do as far paying for it myself or claiming my insurance?

I'm going to get a 2nd quote done on, but worst comes to worst and £349 is the price am I better to claim or pay myself?

Youll lose 30% no claims bonus and you will only have 30% next year when you can have 40% so if the cost is lower than around 50% of this years premium its worth paying it yourself.(for a claim you may also be loaded by 10%)

Tell the other guy you will lose £X and offer to pay cash - often if he has £100 in his pocket he will probably ignore the damage. Or if he really wants to claim ring up the garage with the owners permission and negotiate a cash price with them - when insurance companies are not involved they will often strip the work right back.

The damage is generally done behind the bumper on the mounts rendering them useless for a second impact.

You have done the right thing leaving a note and you are to be commended for that. Let us know how it goes.

wee update for you.

I'm getting a 2nd quote done on monday, hoping it's not as much. Either way I'm just going to pay for it out my own pocket. Just going to have to put getting a new manifold on the back burner :(

I'll let you know how I get on.

got the second quote done.

£300 or £255 if I pay cash, absolutely gutted.

I'd defo think twice about leaving a note after that experience. I think what makes it worse it the fact my mate quoted me £120-150.

I'm going to pay cash and be thankful it's not the fully £350 the first guy quoted. I just can't believe that for such a small dent they have to replace a whole wing.

I'm defo in the wrong job!

I do feel for you mate.
vr1066 said:
I'd defo think twice about leaving a note after that experience. I think what makes it worse it the fact my mate quoted me £120-150.!
It is an offence to fail to exchange details after a collission and all it takes is a note from a nosey neighbour to shop you. You did the right thing - yes it is gutting but at least you can sleep with a clear conscience. A couple of our members have been victims of these hit and runs so ask Buddy and Freddie how they felt at not being left a note. Hopefully when someone does this to you they will also do the right thing and leave a note.

I do have a clear conscience but I also have a clear bank account now :(

I am glad I left my number, the guy whose car I bumped has been complete reasonable and at the end of the day it was my fault. My only complaint is the cost, I probably wouldn't be so pissed off if I didn't know how much I could have had it repaired for.