Insurance, and Hello, by the way

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
Hi everyone, to begin with, just been browsing some of the information and saw the forum - figured I'd ask you lot about Insurance, and how to avoid getting your arse kicked.

Now, a little about me; I'm 20, currently I drive a 1.4 Civic (No Vtec, no nothing.) and I'm a named driver on my parents insurance.

I'm looking for a new Civic, and for the money, its either a leased 07 Model, or a 04/05 Model. The problem isnt the car, its the insurance.

I've looked around Confused.com for insurance, and on my parents insurance with their 9 years+ no claims, etc, perfect record, plus me with my lovely SP30 (Some sod with a gun caught me :/) it comes out at around £3200 on a Type R.

Now I know the following is generally "Wait until your older" or "Buy something less powerful." But, well, here I am anyway.

Is there anywhere particularly good for insurance on such cars? Anything I should know?

I'll also add - I'm not looking to kill myself in the first 5 minutes, and I'm not looking to kill the poor thing, but I'd like something to be proud of, and call it snobby, but I dont think I'd be happy unless it was a Type R.

Hope I've made some sense here, basically I'm looking for insurance help/information.

Thanks in advance

Izo
 

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator
Points
1,157
Location
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
£3200 :shock: Thats way too much to be paying for insurance.

Fronting, (getting parents to cover the car for you) usually is very dodgy. You will typically not be able to use the car as the main driver or use it for going to work/college.

You will find that an older car will benefit from a lower premium so why not get a 5-10 year old Integra type R or perhaps even an Accord Type R, they are great fun and should be cheaper to insure than the new Civic Type R.

With older cars this improves even more. If you get a classic you will find the insurance substantially cheaper. Even larger american cars can be insured for less through specialists.

At 21 the insurance will drop and then at 25 there is a massive drop. Getting the insurance 1 day after your birthday can save ££££'s.
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
waynne said:
£3200 :shock: Thats way too much to be paying for insurance.

Fronting, (getting parents to cover the car for you) usually is very dodgy. You will typically not be able to use the car as the main driver or use it for going to work/college.

You will find that an older car will benefit from a lower premium so why not get a 5-10 year old Integra type R or perhaps even an Accord Type R, they are great fun and should be cheaper to insure than the new Civic Type R.

With older cars this improves even more. If you get a classic you will find the insurance substantially cheaper. Even larger american cars can be insured for less through specialists.

At 21 the insurance will drop and then at 25 there is a massive drop. Getting the insurance 1 day after your birthday can save ££££'s.

Yeah you're telling me. Now I've played around with others, like the 1998 Civic 1.6 Vtec Type R....

... And thats more. £3800, or there abouts.

I've yet to phone up somewhere, mind, but is it possible they're putting a premium on to deter people my age getting into a 200bhp car? I wouldnt be surprised, because your average knobhead is exactly that. But it'd be a shame to miss out on this car, because lets face it. Its sexy.

I'll look into older Type R's again though, once I've stopped procrastinating at work!
 

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Points
637
Location
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Sadly the insurers look at gathered data and statistics. It means that any of us who want to drive lively cars will pay for doing so.

Try privilege (http://www.privilege.com) and see if they can help. They happily insure me in a re-mapped car which has caused problems with lots of other underwriters.

Privilege is part of the Royal Bank of Scotland group, which includes Direct Line and Churchill, amongst others. They seem to specialise in lively cars and capable drivers so you might get lucky.
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
Thanks for the pointers, I'll take a look!

I've got a couple of quotes on Integra Type R's:

1998 Model = £1300
2001-2004 Model = £1600

Much cheaper, as in, plausibly cheaper. From Money Supermarket, so thats much better!
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
Jus wanna say a quick thanks - I've fallen in love with the Integra after seeing the insurance difference + the '01 onwards look, so its looking good.

:)
 

pgarner

TC ModFather
Points
417
Location
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
mate try bell direct they insured me for am honda for £900 when other companies were wanting over a £2k that was for a 1.4 that when i was 19
currently doing my bora 180 for £600 standard. Post office who the civic was last insured with wanted wait for it




£1800 to begin with by the time id finished argueing with then it cam done to £1200
that was with only 2 years no claims and 23 years old

was going to sugest staying away from hondas simply coz they drink and are higher insurance. if you cant get the intergra have a lot for 1.6 and 1.8 vtis (160 and 165bhp respectalvly) got qoutes a year ago for the 1.6 vti coupe and bell wanted £400 for me and the wife
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
pgarner said:
mate try bell direct they insured me for am honda for £900 when other companies were wanting over a £2k that was for a 1.4 that when i was 19
currently doing my bora 180 for £600 standard. Post office who the civic was last insured with wanted wait for it




£1800 to begin with by the time id finished argueing with then it cam done to £1200
that was with only 2 years no claims and 23 years old

was going to sugest staying away from hondas simply coz they drink and are higher insurance. if you cant get the intergra have a lot for 1.6 and 1.8 vtis (160 and 165bhp respectalvly) got qoutes a year ago for the 1.6 vti coupe and bell wanted £400 for me and the wife

I'll take a look, ta - Have to ring though, as the online quote didnt like me o_O :p
 

pgarner

TC ModFather
Points
417
Location
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
nah online quotes are only good if the cars bog standard

by the way if you use an search engine for quotes lie about your age by 1 day make your self younger. when you get the cheapest quote go direct to the insurers website and enter you proper details as gocompare and moneysupermarket and all that get a cut of the premuim
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
After wasting most my day browsing the web (!!) for a Used Integra - Is there much hope of finding a 01-04 Model that doesnt have a ****ton of mileage on it?

Any good places to import, or buy? Presumably they're all going to be reasonably expensive (12Kish)? Just not having much luck through the normal channels, is all.

Thanks for all your help so far guys. Search continues.
 

pgarner

TC ModFather
Points
417
Location
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
01 plate means new style which isnt produced in the uk and honda uk isnt going to improt it simply because it would hurt the civi sales which are built in the uk. means they are very rare to find theres only in the area that i know about but plenty of civics type r's
 

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
(was) Allanton, Scotland
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
im 19 with a polo. more than qouted me £500
ok, a polos not exactly the same as a type R but still give them a go as most other insurers are still qouting me bout £900 - £1500.

i once got a qoute of £8000 for an N reg rover 218 diesel!!!
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
Thanks for the replies here guys.

I've actually gone and leased a Golf GT TDI 140 2007 model, which I'm waiting on delivery.

Yeah, contrary to my original post, but the costs were sadly rediculous, and rather than go off half cocked on a Honda I wouldnt be happy with, this is a safe bet.

However, I'm wondering how sneaky I can be - would a remapped ECU be a waste of money/detectable on a car I'll have for around 3 years, or harm the car in any way?

If I've tot tell the insurance company, it wont be worth it, I dont think, due to the arse kicking that is. :/

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
 

pgarner

TC ModFather
Points
417
Location
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
if the cars leased you do have to give it back so would be careful with what you do.

some remaps claim to be undetectable and would be willing to reverse the map , at a cost , when you come to sell the car

i would always recommend telling the insurance company in case you have an accident

are you insuring it on you own or are you doing it through your folks. i would advise trying to do it on your own its more of a benefit to you.
unless your building a no claim bonus as a named driver. (please beware that if you do it this way you will normally need to take out your first policy with the same insurance company otherwise you will lose it
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
pgarner said:
if the cars leased you do have to give it back so would be careful with what you do.

some remaps claim to be undetectable and would be willing to reverse the map , at a cost , when you come to sell the car

i would always recommend telling the insurance company in case you have an accident

are you insuring it on you own or are you doing it through your folks. i would advise trying to do it on your own its more of a benefit to you.
unless your building a no claim bonus as a named driver. (please beware that if you do it this way you will normally need to take out your first policy with the same insurance company otherwise you will lose it

Hey,

Doing it through my folks, as on my own its excessively daft, however we've yet to look into the specifics. Ta for the information about losing it if I went somewhere else.

I'll wait and see, then about chipping, as I'd rather not get in a boatload of trouble.

<3
 

pgarner

TC ModFather
Points
417
Location
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
i learnt the hard way got a years no claims on ma dads insurane but when came to get the insurane through the same company the wanted something stupid for me on ma own even with the 1 years no claims managed to get t at less than half of what they were wanting without the ncb

how long ago did you pass you test iknow you said you were 20

if it was less than a year ago look into doing your pass plus most companies give the same discount as 1 years ncb
 

Izo Azlion

Road Burner
Points
72
Location
Manchester
Car
Golf GT TDI Sport
pgarner said:
i learnt the hard way got a years no claims on ma dads insurane but when came to get the insurane through the same company the wanted something stupid for me on ma own even with the 1 years no claims managed to get t at less than half of what they were wanting without the ncb

how long ago did you pass you test iknow you said you were 20

if it was less than a year ago look into doing your pass plus most companies give the same discount as 1 years ncb

2 years ago in January. I'm looking into doing some advanced driving courses in the new year, like slide control etc. Sounds like fun, tbh :)
 

Similar threads

Top