Insignia 09 1.8vvt tuning

paulmadcar67

Car
vectra c 1.8 16v
Hi folks I'm going plough some much needed money into my insignia. I want a bit more oomph and considering a remap, cone filter and straight through exhaust. I've been in touch with a local place and gains are minimal but they suggested the possibility of stage 2 but no software available. Has anyone done this? I know you can change the camshaft . What else is possible with the a18xer engine. Many thanks

It will all depend on how serious you are and how deep are your pockets.
So my advice or recommendations come from personal experience and many years of tinkering.

1 A remap will or should give a little more go depending on the skill of the tuner as factory maps are a bit on the conservative side as they want reliability and lifespan /durability and little if no warranty claims.

2 Cone filters will look good or add bling in the engine bay BUT they will get HOT air flow and lose power BUT may sound better or more powerful.

3 Straight thru exhaust with a larger diameter pipes should add a couple of HP.

Now if you really want to get serious about getting more go from a NA car here we go and you have won Lotto.:)

1 build a larger / over bored balanced bottom end with FORGED rods and higher compression pistons as they will be considerably lighter so it will be more responsive.

2 lighten the crank by knife edging it as well as polishing it.

3 port and polish the head and install larger valves

4 upgrade the cams.

5 Fit a well designed set of headers.

6 wire in a tuneable aftermarket EMS / computer IF the factory unit won't allow remapping

7 Fit a lightweight flywheel.

8 fit lighter forged alloy wheels.

9 Fit lighter brake discs and callipers.

10 Find a dyno tuner who know his stuff and won't remap it so it is right on the borderline of detonation if you want it to last.

FYI I have done all of the above except the crank knife edging BUT have had a stroker crank in 1 of my motors in my previous mainly track car.