Inline or transverse engines

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is your engine inline or transverse? Mine is Transverse and to my surprise the A4 is inline?

Inline driving the rear wheels is the classic layout and still the best for drivetrain smoothness. A straight six engine driving the rear wheels is the optimum setup for silky smooth operation. V12's are the same.

All other configurations are geometrically imperfect.

Is transverse where the engine is sideways inline with the front wheels?

Transverse V6 for me.

My Audi GT racecar was fwd longitudinal (as all of that era), made the engine bay very long and also meant the front of the engine was kissing the front panel. I lost so many engines by snapping the front torque steady clean off the block taking the lugs with it! So many slow cars into corners!

well ya or that whould be greedy having 2 v8's in one car

but good news on the black one should be on the road by the end of the week

If you want no vibration, smooth ride then traverse, as a inline engine
would give vibration on centre line, But for performance the RWD.

Transversely mounted straight 4. For purely practical purposes with the size/shape of the availiable shape in front/mid mounted engines it seems to make sense to go in that way, although laterally mounted v6/v8s look better.

Always made me laugh when my mate had a V5 golf as it was laterally mounted, used to lean to one side due to uneven weight

Last edited:
transverse in mine...plenty of wheelspin off the line as the front lifts (weight transfer) cant beat rwd back end digs in and off ya go! dont forget the drifting....lol:D