Info on DIY turbo

Redtail

Car
1970f35012'flatbed
I have a big block 390 ci ford FE block that's putting out about 325hp (it is a 1962 t-bird engine with a few things done to it). I am trying to find out some information to turbo the thing. I have thought about supercharging it, but those kits are upwards of 4000 bucks, and I can find turbos for much less than that. I know a few things about turbos, but could someone point me to a good source? Thanks!

junkyards are a darn ripoff, they charge about 75% of new. I have thought of the comp ratio, if I get a newer 390 (6.4 Liter) the stock comp ratio is 8 to 1 (the 62 390 has a 9.5 to 1) I might just end up bumping the comp ratio up to 13 to 1 and leave it N/A. I understand that enough revs will get these high comp ratios pumping out 600 plus. and I guess that N/A makes an engine last longer too.

Last edited:
N/A or FI is going to shorten the length of engine life. the only difference is by going NA your going to generally be fitting alot newer and stronger parts.
the low compression should be fine for FI but it would depend on how strong the original pars are

How is N/A going to shorten the life of a N/A engine? these 390s will go 300,000 plus miles with 9.5 to 1 comp.

well, it depends, a high revving NA won't last as long as a lower revving FI,

probably a twin turbo set up would be the best for you chap, and easier then bending all the pipe work around if it running carbs? if so then you'll need to get them re jetted and also they need to be sealed to stop the fuel and boost getting out
and also a change in the spark timing and I would recommend using the highest octane rated petrol you can get
, if it's EFI then a remap will be needed

Were you going to keep it "old skool"? I would have thought that a fuel injection system with management will add a fair bit of power on it's own.

Do you get Megasquirt over there?

What carbs are you running?

If you like to keep it NA then fit a stroker kit(around 1,500USD about 5 years ago) if you go the turbocharge way then a Holset H2 series would be ideal, I have worked on these engines, and they are rugged.

Were you going to keep it "old skool"? I would have thought that a fuel injection system with management will add a fair bit of power on it's own.

Do you get Megasquirt over there?

What carbs are you running?

we can get pretty much anything we want over here. and with the old cars, (25 years or older) you don't have emissions any more. So I can do whatever I want and not run into problems (plus in my area they don't have any limits on anything, really, any performance part is fair game for the street (as long as it is not headers dumping directly out of the engine sort of thing).

so just noise is an issue but it's an easy work around,

i mean a couple of gt28's would do the trick really, you would need to fab the manifolds unless you can get something off the shelf, also superchargers can still be had direct from the manufacture for reasonable money without having to buy someones kit,

and I would lower the C/R to about 8:1

was going to say, you've got a 390 at the moment, lol

I still have to say though if you are hauling weight then the supercharger will be your best option because you won't have to rev your engine to get the torque, try contacting Eaton or Rotrex direct