Induction roar.

Car
Audi A3 1.8T-Sport
A nice simple one for a sunday afternoon.

Who makes the loudest air filter/induction kit?

What makes a loud filter/kit so loud?

Cheers :)

I can't answer the first one. I like cars to be as close to silent as possible so have never played with induction noise kits.

The second question would be better asked thus:-

'How does a standard air filter mute the engine's induction noise?'.

So....

Which is louder; cotton, paper or foam filters?

Do those weird plastic shrouded universal kits make more or less noise then an exposed cone?

Is loudness directly related to flow rate or surface area?

Would a small cotton cone make the same sound as a large paper or foam one?

I was going to suggest that the engine is the root noise generator and the airbox can be 'tuned' to resonate as desired. Trying to calculate preceived loudness is very intricate.

Turbochargers can dull exhaust and intake noise a bit. In my opinion this is a good thing, You might think differently.

i dont get a roar with mine, its emits a whistle and a bit disappointing as for gbp300 would have thought it would have done a bit more than that. no performance improvement whatsoever so its coming back off and will flog it.

as for the noise, a HDi points out it is 'tunable' depending on what you want, would have though, imo, a larger surface area would create more noise.

The angle of the air intake makes a difference. If it is pointing away from the cabin there will be the least amount of noise, then from 90 degrees to pointing at the cabin you have the most noise. It depends who you want to hear it, those in the car or those outside of it.

Most open induction kits, foam cotton and gauze and Cones, Domes and Tubes all make similar sounds so I doubt you'd notice much difference between them.

Cotton gives the best filtration though and you really don't want crud getting into your engine so would be the option I would recommend.

Cheers folks.

The reason i like a nice induction roar is because i spend all my time trying to avoid using fuel, ie; driving around below 2000rpm and avoiding wide throttle openings.
However! When i occasionally do open the taps i like to be able to hear it.
I've had several straight 6s and V6s and the induction noise is beautiful, really sweet and balanced. My little Audi just sounds strangled, guess its the trade-off for having a turbo.
My aim is to figure out how to make it sound as good as it goes, not mega loud all the time just sporty when i floor the loud pedal ;)

A miltek sports exhaust will go a long way to enhancing the sound.

I know a few guys that have drilled out the bottom of the air box and removed the vanes. (Get a spare box from the breakers to play with!) Tis cheaper than an induction kit.

am with waynne drill teh air box does work and then put a k&n panel filter in
and it will be better then you putting a induction kit in as you will be getting a good cold air feed into the bottom of the box

but does all go on the car and the size of the throttle body and how much air it wants
one of my old trans ams i had a 90mm body on it witha k&n panel and that was loud but that wanted a lot of air cos it was a beast of a car

i am bombing around in a little 1.25 fiesta at the min with a piper cross filter fitted when you open it up does give a noise for me its a noise i dont want to hear on a car like that but is louder then a k&n one the same engine that i have heard

i have a k+n cone filter on my v6 vectra and i can honestly say the thing roars like a lion stabbed with a hot poker the best part is i can roll down my street at midnight and you would'nt know i was there....... then you put youre foot down and you practicaly set alarms off:D

I've seen air filters that are just stainless steel gauze (tightly packed) which give the loudest induction roar, but I wouldn't go for it myself as you would get too much crap sucked in the engine,

just go for a K&N 57i kit, you won't be disappointed

You want induction roar...........Loose the throttle body and stick in a line of Jenvies......There's your roar :blink1:

Mmmmmm yummy

ENG5a.jpg

:amazed:

Fitting Jenvies is not a cheap option but certainly gives you the right effect, power, acceleration and of course the noise which stirs the parts not even Angelina Jolie can reach :embarrest:

I made all my own custom manifolds, linkages and fuel lines, my kind of fun :blink:

Think im gonna have to see what make mine is now alls i know its got a massive stailess steal pipe ending with a rather large cone filter and it roars loud enough to make people turn and look lol

no as its the airbox that insulates the sound, drilling a few holes on the prefilter side of the airbox will add a growl but mean warmer air entering the engine