induction kits

billo

Car
MGZS
hi you lot i havent been around for a while but need some advice some came back to my roots lol#!beenm looking at getting an induction kit but really stuck on what to get ,i only got bout £100 for one but dont want to waste it it basically boils down to the k&n apollo closed filter or the k&n 57i .the 57i reads up as extra hp a crispy throttle respone and a good induction roar but with that i read all about HEAT SOAK which puts me off with the apollo it just reads about making the engine more efficient and better econemy it says nothin about better throttle response or an induction roar so im a bit stuck could really do with speaking to someone who has these filters fitted i originally had a k&n panel filter which tbh had no effect at all ,as a simple tester i bought a cheap cone filter fitted that and tbh the car is more responsive with a nice sound but just wandered if a more expensive one would really make any difference btw the car is mg zs 1.8 with a remap no other mods

You could look at Simota or Pipercross who do an enclosed model as do K&N. The 57i from K&N would be ok for what you want and with the loose change left over you can fashion or buy a heat shield for it.
As for throttle response, don't expect the car to perform as if it was driven by an electric motor. Just treat the kit for what it is, a noise maker with marginally improved throttle response then you wont be disappointed.
If as you say, funds are tight then just buy a performance filter to replace the factory item. This will allow your engine to breath better, make a little more noise and be free of any heat soak issues.

Last edited:
Good advice ^^^ as any performance gain will be down to your imagination.
Dare I suggest you save up for some post license training or a track day as you would get better value for your hard earned money improving the drivers performance.

Agreed.

The induction noise means you press the accelerator harder to hear it and then think the car is faster :)

Thanks for the comments guys so basically any performance filter what ever it is ,is just all about noise and not performance

Technically, no, but realisticaly, yes.

You can gain some power with a less restrictive induction system, but not enough to make any real world difference.

Take a Honda Civic, for example. The 2001 1.7l has approx 127bhp. 1/4 mile in around 16.96 seconds with a termianl of 83mph. Add 5bhp due to a super induction system and that will come down to approx 16.81 seconds. That means you will get from 0 - 83mph 0.15 seconds quicker.

Realistically, however, you are looking at 2bhp improvement MAX which equates to 16.88, an improvement of 0.08 seconds. You wouldn't be able to drive that consistantly to notice this :)

Decent induction systems come into their own when coupled with other engine power enhancements - turbo upgrades, cam and valve mods, etc.

Having said all this, you have to start modding somewhere and this is a good place to start the long journey into obsession and insanity :)

Go ahead and fit an indiction kit. It is a relatively safe mod for beginners to do and shouldn't increase your premium by too much (if you don't advise your insurance company there is a very good chance they could back out of any claim you have to make if they find out). Keep the original stuff so it can be put back on when the time comes to sell as unmodified cars tend to command more money.

Last edited:
Us 'been there done that' chaps have to remember exactly that. We all started with simple mods such as induction, exhausts, carb upgrades, bigger wheels and tyres, etc, etc. It was only after we had cut our teeth with these mods that we were able to progress on to bigger and better mods.

My advice is to go with the induction mod. It will get you under the bonnet, will be cheaper and a lot easier than fitting side skirts and you can then report back on any performance changes, be they better or worse, perceived or actual :)

Hello mate!

See you drive a ZS? Is it the 120 by any chance?

K series need help breathing, so to speak, if you have around £100 I suggest you buy a decent enclosed induction kit. If you can find a BMA CDA kit second hand you'll be laughing.
Or, if you can wait, save up and get a 4-2-1 manifold, sports cat and a stainless cat back exhaust from Janspeed. Proven gains and for the price, its worth it. A few people on the MG forums manage around 140bhp with a remap, BMA CDA and a decent exhaust system. The 1.4 owners ( me! :) ) Many say these engines are already at there peak, with 103bhp and a whole 1 torques! :lol: But a decent remap from Z&F paired with an enclosed induction kit and decent exhaust saw an impressive 125bhp. Might not sound like much, but for a 1.4 NA engine its mighty impressive.

Yes mate its the 120 and have already had a remap off zandf and tbh i think i wasted my money it really doesnt feel any different in 5th gear it hardly feels like it pulls at all

^^^ I would be inclined to take the car back then and ask what it was exactly that they done to the engine. Did you service the car before hand?

No but tbh dont think it really needed it ,everything was clean and runnin well think thats why i was dissapointed with the remap ,,,,,,,i just expected alot more

Us 'been there done that' chaps have to remember exactly that. We all started with simple mods such as induction, exhausts, carb upgrades, bigger wheels and tyres, etc, etc. It was only after we had cut our teeth with these mods that we were able to progress on to bigger and better mods.

My advice is to go with the induction mod. It will get you under the bonnet, will be cheaper and a lot easier than fitting side skirts and you can then report back on any performance changes, be they better or worse, perceived or actual :)

Right your opinion please i think its gonna be between these to try off ebay ,,,,,,,,ramair ,,pipercross R power with heat shield ,,pipercross R power induction kit,,with the ramair i would by heat shield to go with it or pipercross cone with heat shield ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the R power is from epracing they reckon it is designed by pipercross ????

Someone else on here will have to comment on your options, as I have no experience of them. My system is bespoke, constructed by me and based on advice from seasoned racers and race car builders.