Induction Cone Filters - Single or Twin

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
I have a Green Filter induction kit with a single type cone air filter (solid plate on the end) and a proper stainless steel heat shield and cold air supply feed as well installed for it, Thanks Demon Tweeks! :)

My question is, would I gain any more benefit by switching to a Twin type cone air filter (no plate on the end, so it's open ended) or should I leave things just as they are? I had noticed that there was a £23 difference between the two but annoyingly only after I had the whole thing fitted :embarrest:

Got an image of this 'twin type'? Unless the cold air feed is direct, ie ram affair then probably nothing to be gained tbh.

Got an image of this 'twin type'? Unless the cold air feed is direct, ie ram affair then probably nothing to be gained tbh.

Cheers for the knowledge stamford, this is the twin and single in question,
the cold air intake comes from the front of the car by the spoiler through a 75mm ducting and comes out immediately underneath the filter about 30mm away from it. The picture is not quite to scale as my single cone is quite large.

Attachments

• sa_e_tw.jpg
    sa_e_tw.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 3
I have found that the full foam ITG cylinder filter mounted on the end of the pipework direct to the throttle body with said filter mounted well away from the engine and in direct cold air flow work very well, similar gains to an ITG bespoke kit and BMC CDA.

Deamon Tweeks in January!!! Just after Christmas!! Im only usually allowed to look around such a place. Even the air freshiner in there is expencive!!!

Party round big T's house I think!!

I could do with looking there actually. See if I can get any good deals on what I want to do to me motor!! I have finaly decided. Not buying a new one, but I'll start a new thread once I have had a quote for the work!! :blink1:

Deamon Tweeks in January!!! Just after Christmas!! Im only usually allowed to look around such a place. Even the air freshiner in there is expencive!!!

Party round big T's house I think!!

I could do with looking there actually. See if I can get any good deals on what I want to do to me motor!! I have finaly decided. Not buying a new one, but I'll start a new thread once I have had a quote for the work!! :blink1:

Lol, well BBJ you know what it's like? I try and scrape by as best I can :lol:

Made the 480 mile round trip to Demon's from London a couple of weeks ago now to get all of this work done by them, but be warned!! you need to have plenty of wallet discipline! that place is the original Aladdin's cave!! shiny bits everywhere! :bigsmile:

I agree with T9 no advantage in two pods unless you have twin turbos or seperate induction .

He's not talking about two individual pods, T9 is referring to the inner portion of the cone also being an open filter. How much boooost you running mate? Unless you're pulling in a massive amount of air you probably won't see a restriction with any decent filter.

He's not talking about two individual pods, T9 is referring to the inner portion of the cone also being an open filter. How much boooost you running mate? Unless you're pulling in a massive amount of air you probably won't see a restriction with any decent filter.

Not really sure how much boost PG :embarrest: the turbo is a hybrid TD04 19T. Only a couple of weeks ago I had the Green filter single cone fitted and a 75mm cold air ducting kit fitted which starts from the front spoiler and comes through to the filter.
Car remapped at Viezu Bromsgrove and they have squeezed another 4 BHP out of it; not sure if this was due to the new filter system now! :)

Just could'nt help thinking whether I would have gained another 1 or so BHP by having a twin cone instead that's all.

It's possible, you could gain or loose far more than that just going on another set of rollers, or just getting rolling roaded on a slightly warmer day for example. Don't worry about it!

It's possible, you could gain or loose far more than that just going on another set of rollers, or just getting rolling roaded on a slightly warmer day for example. Don't worry about it!

Cheers MA had already thought that this might be the case, which is why I always use the same people and the same RR; T Cars taught me this! ;)

Will be guided by others superior knowledge on this! just for the sake of £23 I needed to know if it would have been an extra plus or not!
cheers fellas! :bigsmile:

Lol, well BBJ you know what it's like? I try and scrape by as best I can :lol:

Made the 480 mile round trip to Demon's from London a couple of weeks ago now to get all of this work done by them, but be warned!! you need to have plenty of wallet discipline! that place is the original Aladdin's cave!! shiny bits everywhere! :bigsmile:

I know!! I went in years ago to get some indicators for my bike, and ended up buying an alpine star jacket, New gloves, signed up to there news letter, carbon indicators and everything!!! Only went in to spend £10er, and spent the best part of £400!!!

If I went now, I'd have to leave the debit card at home. Or some of my house savings will vanish!!! :eek: