Increasing the power

matej1243

Car
Alfa 156 2.4 JTD
Hi everyone!

My car is a stock 2001 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD (136 HP/101kW). Although I love my car, I think that 136HP isn't enough. I want to hear what do you guys think on what should I add to it. I was thinking of adding another turbo (I have one already) and a performance chip. Also, I don't want to add NOS or anything similar because I just don't like it for some reason (don't judge me, please).
Since my brakes are old and need to be changed, I was thinking of Brembo brakes. Is that too much for my Alfa?

Thank you all in advance and I'm looking forward to your answers.
One more thing. Would you mind (not necessary) adding links to all the items you mention? I want to know what price are we talking about.

Remap is the best way to go for more torque and power. 'Adding' a turbo is a complete non starter unless you have 1000s and 1000s to spend.

A remap should yield around 180-190bhp from your engine for a few hundred $$s.

Brembo brakes are good, but unless you're planning to go for larger discs I'd stick with Pagid or other brand that supplies the OEM items.

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
As mentioned, unless you're looking to double your power or more a remap is the most cost effective way of gaining an extra 40 or so gee geese from your engine. Our own @RobBentley can sort that for, click the JRTuning link at top of this page to contact. Standard air filters are normally capable of managing this increase so a new decent panel filter and that's all's that's required. Unless you're looking to drive like you stole it, a set of OEM discs n pads from Brembo, EBC, Pagid etc are fine. Vented discs help with cooling under prolonged heavy braking like on a track.

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
As mentioned, unless you're looking to double your power or more a remap is the most cost effective way of gaining an extra 40 or so gee geese from your engine. Our own @RobBentley can sort that for, click the JRTuning link at top of this page to contact. Standard air filters are normally capable of managing this increase so a new decent panel filter and that's all's that's required. Unless you're looking to drive like you stole it, a set of OEM discs n pads from Brembo, EBC, Pagid etc are fine. Vented discs help with cooling under prolonged heavy braking like on a track.

There is a slight snag as matej is in Croatia :)

I'm pretty sure there will be remapping services in Croatia.

I'm not keen on the panel filter replacements. Oil fouling of the MAF is not rare. Many have been shown to be less efficient at filtration than OEM paper filters. They do flow better when heavily clogged than a paper filter flows when heavily clogged (when clean there is little to no difference) but given the low low price of paper filters I would just buy a handful and replace frequently.

Thank you for all the responses! I will definitely do a remap. But I still want more than 180-190HP and money isn't such a problem. What else would you recommend?

apart from a remap then maybe a full turbo back exhaust system and uprated intercooler, dont get hung up on figure chasing believe me just from a remap you will be very impressed

I think you'll be blown away by what 190 diesel horsepower feels like. Remember it's the torque a diesel engine produces that shoves you towards the horizon rather rapidly like a a much higher powered petrol engine would. I looked into filters, DPF delete, larger custom exhaust etc but for the little gains compared to cost they were not worth it unless going large and changing the turbo. You can take it to maybe 300hp but you would then need to change the intercooler, injectors, clutch, driveshafts, suspension, brakes etc. Many more parts probably also and have a more unreliable motor as big power means faster engine wear, whatever the car is.
For around £400 I would try just the remap first

Yes the 535d m sport can do a 5.5 sec 0-60 but it has got over 300hp and 600 torques and costs over £50000 standard + extras. My old petrol Skyline GTR had similar power but lot less torque and still achieved this 20 years ago so I was trying to make the point diesels are not really sprint cars so don't go chasing power figures on a diesel, especially an everyday Euro car.

Yes the 535d m sport can do a 5.5 sec 0-60 but it has got over 300hp and 600 torques and costs over £50000 standard + extras. My old petrol Skyline GTR had similar power but lot less torque and still achieved this 20 years ago so I was trying to make the point diesels are not really sprint cars so don't go chasing power figures on a diesel, especially an everyday Euro car.

I agree with that, four cylinders, FWD and manual transmission make it fiddly. The problem with cars such were discussing (everyday ones) is that the torque output is outrageous and appears at very low revs compared to a petrol car with similar BHP figures.

It's the midrange slam which appeals to me. LIke you said, 40mph in 4th gear is an effortless get up and go situation.

I have a Dodge Avenger 2.0 CRD with a stage 1 remap, this is now 189bhp and 300ft/lb of torque. Going to add an EGR removal to get another 20bhp and 40ft/lb torque, but even as is it will do 140mph+

in mine opinion you bought wrong car , i would buy an alfa with this beauty

no offense but when i see chip tuned diesel on motorway in reality i se this

chip tuned diesels mostly end up blowing black smoke while accelerating
something like this

but thats mine opinion and every body has one

:) This may be true in your part of the world, but most diesel engined cars in the western world are well maintained so don't smoke, even when chipped.

I agree, however, that diesel engines aren't the prettiest, but you don't care what it looks like when it blows the doors off the petrol engined version.

And I say this whilst being a petrolhead through and through.

Gotta love the way Alfa show their motors and don't cover them with an ugly plastic turtle back/clam shell|B

i think that its bad diesel here ,not maintenance, opel insignia and blows like hell.
as far as maintenance comes in question same parts are here like in your country.

A good diesel will go like the clappers, you only need to compare the stats of a 330d and a 330 petrol to see that.

But i have to agree with the alfa comnent-an alfa should have a beautiful creamy v6 and nothing else. But sadly those days are gone.