Increasing Performance

Aikmanson

Torque Junkie
Car
1995 Saab 900 2.0T
Hi I'm new to the forums and I need a bit of help with my Saab. It is 1997 900 2.3L non turbo. It is also a 5 speed manual if that means anything. It has quite a bit of miles on it but I've been keeping up with it and its running pretty solid.

I was wondering what I could do to help get better performance out of it and increase the power. I know the sensible option is to get a turbo for it but will a Saab turbo fit on the 2.3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

hey and welcome.

the turbo wont just fit straight on well it will with the manifold but you could blow the engine due to the pressures withen the cylinders. another option might be to get the whole turbo engine & loom and fit it.

Yeah I read up on the turbo situation, I'm not really up for a total engine swap, so the turbo idea is out. What else could i do to help increase performance? The guy I bought the car from had already fitted a spectre air filter on, but i was thinking of maybe a cold air intake system?

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

to be honest swapping the engine will possibly give you the best power per £.
CAI will make a difference as itll be the cold air being sucked in rather than the warm air of the engine.

full exhaust system - manifold, cat, centre pipe, back box. will also give a little

Alright thanks, I will look into an engine swap then. Should I look for a saab turbo engine specifically for my 900 or will 9-3 engines fit as well? I'd imagine they would.

I really appreciate the replies.

Ok so, i'm not entirely sure on if they changed the engine from year to year, i found a 1999 9-3 and the guy actually let me crack open his bonnet and it had a 2.0T in it that looked a lot like the 1997 2.0T. So I believe a 9-3 would fit.

I think for now, im going to put a cold air intake system on, and see what i can do about the exhuast, maybe take it off and clean er' up a bit first before i decide what to do with that. An engine swap seems like a good idea but as I am off to college in less than a month, i can't really see that happening to early next summer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which cold air intake to go with? Ive been looking at K+N and they are rather expensive but nice. Any others?

Hi and welcome. I would spend the money on things that you won't lose if you do an engien swap. Suspension and brakes will make a big difference to the way the car handles.

Weight reduction will also help a lot, they are pretty heavy cars and some weight reduction will make it better in all respects.

You might get away with fitting a supercharger to it. This won't be as aggressive as a turbo and is easier to map for.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend and what you will be using the car for.

Im thinking an engine swap is the only sensible idea at this point. I'm not sure if putting money into a supercharger on an engine with 177k miles is a good idea. So Im new to engine swapping, How will i know what engine will fit on my transmission? And if you guys know, where is the best place to look for used/newer engines for my Saab? I know you guys live in the UK or Europe, so keep in mind I live in New York ha.

Thanks again guys I really appreciate it.

scrap yards - if they allow you look around and pull stuff yourself you can get stuff cheaply
ebay - can turn up some deals but you cant see the condition

I was JUST at my local Saab scrap yard. I was looking and found a 2.3L turbo engine? I have no idea where they got it from, im thinking from a 9000. I will ask them when i go back, because i had to order a crank sensor, as mine threw the code for a camshaft sensor....which my car doesn't have. So I'm pretty sure and so is the mechanic it is the crank sensor, which would go a LONG way in explaining my lack of power and puttering on starts.

I will get the part and install it on Monday and let you guys know how it goes! I will also look more into that engine I saw.

Ok I hate to double post but, I just found an engine online, 2.0Turbo engine for 94-00, $2,200. That seems like a lot to me but Idk. Its guarenteed less than 80k miles....idk.

Im going to look at that one at the shop again, but it's good to see options comming about.

That sounds ok to me but I guess the $ is weak against the £ at the moment. It looks like you will find something suitable if you are patient.;)