Improving Mercedes brakes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I have a friend with a Mercedes Diesel coupe which suffers from really poor braking. The pads and discs are worn so will need replacing soon.

What would you recommend he does to improve the brakes?

I'm thinking larger disks perhaps drilled but certainly vented and going for an AMG brake setup.

Is it worth upgrading the servo or would the pads and disc change suffice?

Replacing with OEM and replacing fluid will bring it back to factory spec. Is that not good enough?

The oem setup has always been inadequate. It is quite a heavy car and is crying out for sharper brakes.

They seem to use the same brakes on the base models as the higher powered ones! This is a diesel. If you are replacing the brakes anyway it makes perfect sense to get the best from your money and upgrade.

Or, they use the higher model brakes on the base models. Makes sense to only have one set for all models.

If the car is not used on the track and driven on the highway safely then a 500bhp car doesn't need any more braking power than a 100bhp one :)

However, as you say, if replacing worn out brakes bigger ones won't do any harm, other than encourage later braking :)

Some times the bean counters overrule the engineers in the chase of more $$$$$ :(

Unfortunately this is the way of the world now Rad :( What is needed is a few head strong bosses who know they pay the wages and what they say goes - ahem, it works for me ;)

Ditto. I wonder where I would stand if I cut my own salary to below the minimum wage??

I was looking at that figure on an advertising board on the Underground the other day, I think it was £7.20 for the over 25s. I would have to move back in with mum on a salary that paid that amount :(

I earn nearly three times that simply delivering parcels 2 days a week. No qualifications or experience needed (although I was able only to get to double minimum wage when I started due to being slower).

What the hell, its what this site is all about, stay on topic and it can become boring pretty quickly ;) TC Member participation often improves the post duration of a thread and it is good to get involved, we are a team here after all - remember > the difference between those who pop on here for a quick answer to a problem then disappear into the sunset; then there is us, those who care about other things that fall outside of the motoring world and who have been there for each other through thick and thin :)