Impreza turbo weakspots

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Thking of getting an Impreza turbo but I've heard there are weak spots on the engine - what should I be looking out for?

...and the oil pump! If you have the engine in bits get a decent oil ump because the one that Subaru fit is a bit pants on a standard engine and isn't up to the challenge if you have modified anything!

i agree with kerbside, up grade you oil pump. Im going through a rather messy engine at the moment, busted shells and burnt oil in pick ups etc

If you get one go for a 2.5. they have what is called a closed deck block.
Mine is 2.0 and it open deck, not much scope for tuning.

Gearboxs are ok but as soon as you start to abuse them they have a tendancy to spit out there front diff bearings. Mine is upgraded so i can leave the line in the dry and spin up all 4 wheels!!!

ANY engine work is a nightmare. From changing plugs to doing a basic service. Not many cars i know you have to remove the air box and the battery to do 4 plugs.

Get a workshop manual of it. I got a CD from Ebay and it covers the entire Subaru Impreza range up to 2004. Best thing i ever bought.

been using ver 8 for a year, found out the stock intercooler system is very prone to leak and replaced the flowpipes to 2.8" 304 stainless steel, Samco rubberjoints and a RalliArt Evo6 intercooler i got off a friend of mine who totaled his evo...

another buddy using ver 5 (EJ20) seems to be having nightmares with 'chain-reaction' engine breakdowns... he's now changing to EJ25...