Important snow info

tjay56

Torque Junkie
Car
corsavxracing
Folks,I was watching a reporter on BBC news yesterday,and during his interview with an AA man,the following info came to light.

It is now apparently against the law to drive your vehicle with snow covering it.If you have snow on the roof,bonnet or boot and it slides off and causes following traffic to crash you can now be prosecuted.

Apart from the fact that snow/ice when sliding off your pride and joys paintwork will scratch it.

So,moral of the thread is,remove the snow and have a safe journey.:bigsmile:

Very few I suspect.

The most dangerous imo is flying ice off HGV trailers.My wife had to take avoiding action the other day,or it was curtains for the car/her.:(

think its been that way for a few years
have seen people being done for it and so they should they only had a very small clearing to see from

I've always made a point of clearing the car properly obvious reasons. It's easier now than it was 24-25 years ago with better interior heating and defrosting arrangements.

The slipstream shape of modern cars also simplifies the removal of snow and ice. I just use a side torn off a cardboard box to shift the stuff.

NB. clear the snow from drivers door before opening otherwise you wind up with about 20kg of snow on the seat :-(

I also break the 'rules' and start the car so it can warm slightly whilst I'm clearing the stuff. Not ideal for the environment but better than being unable to see and having a collision.

Fat dose of anti-freeze screenwash in the tank (my car's got the BMW intensive system as well so I fill that tank with neat screen wash additive).

Tyres checked (should do this all year anyway), I run mine about 15-20% below recommended pressures in really, really bad conditions.

Lights on and off we go with the journey.