I’m looking for Dan from AutoCustomEng

PrismFox

Car
2008 Audi A6 3.2
I have a 2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro (Naturally Aspirated, Direct Injection, DOHC)

From most of what I read, this car is almost untunable. However I recently came across a thread in which someone recommended “Auto Custom Engineering.” In that thread, an account called “AutoCustomEng” replied saying they have a supercharger kit. I haven’t been able to find their website or anything about them.

I think they stopped trading many years ago, sadly.

Have a chat with the guys at Dark Side Developments, they know Audi engines very well and can probably source the parts you'll need to do a forced induction upgrade.

There was also a kit around based on the rotrex supercharger that worked well on these engines IIRC.

I think they stopped trading many years ago, sadly.

Have a chat with the guys at Dark Side Developments, they know Audi engines very well and can probably source the parts you'll need to do a forced induction upgrade.

There was also a kit around based on the rotrex supercharger that worked well on these engines IIRC.

can you confirm if this is the correct website for Dark Side Developments? https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/

Im also very interested in a forced induction upgrade as I've seen many times on forums that the engine is at maximum compression already. So Im not an expert but I think that means you would have to increase displacement by boring out the cylinders or something to make room for more air.

This article covers the concept of fitting a turbo https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php

So increasing cylinder capacity and lowering compression is the general idea. But if you went with direct injection this can tolerate higher compression ratios, and indeed is where most car makers have gone with modern turbo engines.

Changing the crank profile and using lower compression pistons is an easier route rather than reboring and changing the head.

A supercharger is better suited to this engine IMO so you're going the right route.

This article covers the concept of fitting a turbo https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php

So increasing cylinder capacity and lowering compression is the general idea. But if you went with direct injection this can tolerate higher compression ratios, and indeed is where most car makers have gone with modern turbo engines.

Changing the crank profile and using lower compression pistons is an easier route rather than reboring and changing the head.

A supercharger is better suited to this engine IMO so you're going the right route.
I believe the 3.2 V6 is direct injection (FSI = Direct Injection right?) Also was that link I provided the correct website for Dark Side Developments? I would like to shoot them an email assuming I have the correct place you were referring to.

Yes that is the company website.

Yes FSi is direct injection, so that will help, although Audi have probably pushed the compression to the max for a NASP engine to extract the most power.

So what I meant to say is the usual NASP standard fuel injection compression ratio limits when pushing forced induction will not apply and you have a higher ceiling but you still need to be careful - the mapping must be spot on and I'd personally prefer to drop in a lower compression piston set.

Fast road cams and a remap make pretty good power on these blocks, have you looked into that option? Cam = around 15bhp and remap gives another 17bhp (but somehow I think you're aiming for the 300bhp plus region).

Fast road cams and a remap make pretty good power on these blocks, have you looked into that option? Cam = around 15bhp and remap gives another 17bhp (but somehow I think you're aiming for the 300bhp plus region).
I have not yet seen the upgrades you refer to anywhere, though maybe I haven't looked in the right places. If hypothetically I wanted to add a supercharger, would I also need to use fast cams / low compression pistons be necessary? 300bhp would be excellent, as nothing I can do is that cheap. If I'm going to spend money I want a noticeable increase in power.

A low boost supercharger may be the way to go without the need for lo comp pistons with stock cams and a good free flowing exhaust exhaust system along with a remap on a dyno for the best outcome.

In my experience once the power modification bug bites it's hard to control the wanting more and more so if you are committed then a forged and balanced bottom end is a no brainer and the sky's the limit depending on your budget.

In my experience once the power modification bug bites it's hard to control the wanting more and more so if you are committed then a forged and balanced bottom end is a no brainer and the sky's the limit depending on your budget.
Honestly at this point I might just sell the A6 and get a 2011 S6. I mean it has a 5.2 Liter naturally-aspirated V10 with the same really good C6 interior. Maintenence would be a pain, but it would be damn fun, plus I could swap in the C6 RS6 TT V10 in as an import from europe. A more practical alternative is the 2016 S4. Has a supercharged 3.0 Liter V6, looks nicer than the C6, is actually tuneable, wouldn't kill me with fuel economy and maintenance, and has the same interior as the C6.

You'll get more for your money with a different starting base. The S4 is my dream car and very tunable indeed. The engine swap to the RS6 TT10 will be expensive as those engines are quite rare and you'll need the gearbox and ECU and will have to swap out all the door locks and ignition.

I think you are doing the right thing by looking at your options and weighing them up.

No you don't need a cam change for forced induction, it just raises the top end power band and it is a good way to increase power on a NASP engine. On turbo engines the best mod is usually a remap for another 20-30% power.