I'm a newbie with this and I need help... Lots of it...

lcardoso17

Car
Mercedes E220 AMG-p
I currently got a VW Polo Mk5 1.2 petrol engine and I want some advice on what could I do with this vehicle. I though about an engine swap but it seemed too expensive. I was thinking of going, probably, with a budget of at least 750-1000 pounds.

Thanks in advance
;)

The best mods for a car engine are as follows but to be honest you wont see much of a power gain on a 1.2 engine no matter how much money you throw at it. I'd stick with improving the handling and braking and perhaps some weight reduction if it were mine.

Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well. You'll also need stronger internal parts if you are looking at a big power hike so forged rods etc.. are the order of the day.
Bigger valves are an obvious add on but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy (lumpy tickover at low RPM).

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.
To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

The best mods for a car engine are as follows but to be honest you wont see much of a power gain on a 1.2 engine no matter how much money you throw at it. I'd stick with improving the handling and braking and perhaps some weight reduction if it were mine.

Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well. You'll also need stronger internal parts if you are looking at a big power hike so forged rods etc.. are the order of the day.
Bigger valves are an obvious add on but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy (lumpy tickover at low RPM).

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.
To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

Thank you. I actually though about some of those "mods" but I just don't know if that vw with a 1.2 will handle well/or is worth the effort and money. I'm not thinking about using this car to race because I think it wouldn't look good, but I want it to be fun to drive. I have fun with my father e220 AMG Merc or my brother Audi A3 3.2 FSI or even my MX5 NA (wich is in the garage for the porpuses of racing) and the VW seemed to plain and "boring". I know this car can become a fun experience, but this car I want to do it with my own hand, but since I only know some little basics about engine mechanics I came here for new ideas.

Thank you again for advices ;) and btw, for my porpuses do you think I should stick with the 1.2 or should i go an find some other engine?

Wow, Waynne, that is some serious rubbish you are suggesting there for a 1.2.

Personally, I don't think it is worth spending that sort of money on a 1.2, unless it is to gain experience and have a little fun.

A remap, if possible on this car, would be good for around 10% increase.

An induction kit will make it sound better, as would a change of exhaust.

The only way, IMO, to get a reasonable power boost without spending thousands is nitrous. Assuming your engine is in good condition, you could add a 25bhp kit with no issues. This would give you a lot of fun whilst retaining the economy of the standard engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Personally, I don't think it is worth spending that sort of money on a 1.2, unless it is to gain experience and have a little fun.

The only way, IMO, to get a reasonable power boost without spending thousands is nitrous. Assuming your engine is in good condition, you could add a 25bhp kit with no issues. This would give you a lot of fun whilst retaining the economy of the standard engine.

The car is from 2010 and was in the in the garage of a friend rotting and has never been used until now (I bought it because he sold me for 400 pounds).

I stand by my opening statement "The best mods for a car engine are as follows but to be honest you wont see much of a power gain on a 1.2 engine no matter how much money you throw at it. I'd stick with improving the handling and braking and perhaps some weight reduction if it were mine."

The mods listed are all valid mods but as you say pretty pointless on a 1.2. It is up to the owner to decide where his money goes so I don't make that judgement call.

The nitrous was a good suggestion of yours, I think I'll add this one to my repertoire of "easy mods".

Yeah if its a 2010 car why not sell it and get something a few years older, get something with a bigger engine and you would probaly have some more budget from selling the 10 plate. But to be fair with the list of your cars you have access to why bother keep it as it is for the sensible trips and long boring drives.

Yeah if its a 2010 car why not sell it and get something a few years older, get something with a bigger engine and you would probaly have some more budget from selling the 10 plate. But to be fair with the list of your cars you have access to why bother keep it as it is for the sensible trips and long boring drives.

It's a 2011, sorry :p

I know, but while I'm around in university, in a big city, I needed something small and economical. I discovered this car in a friends garage, as I told, and 400 pounds is a quite good deal for a 2011 small and really economical car... He is a quite fun little car but I want a little more from it. Yeah, a 1.2 is a lost of time, and if I find some 1.6 or bigger for a good price I will swap it, until then, and if I decide to keep this car a little longer what do you advice to make it a funier car to drive in a big city? Just a 25hp kit?

£400 for a 1 year old car? Are you sure its not stolen or something?

Isn't nitrous illegal on the roads?

Everythings "ILLEGAL" in Australia. That way the Gov. or th RTA can fine you and make heaps of money. :)

I am assuming this car has Injection being a near new vehicle.
I miss the old Carby cars myself. In fact I have a beautiful Weber sitting at home
(32/36 DFV Weber) which I just rebuilt with new diaphragm kit and is off a Datsun 1200 / 120Y. Aside from the diaphragms the shafts and manual choke mech. are in excellent nic so it's as new now with the kit done.
Bought it to put on a Mitsubishi COLT but never happened. I was going to sell/give it to a guy in Africa but it turned out too Expensive to post.
A weber would go well on it I recon, but it is sure to be injected.