Ignition barrel or auto transmission fault?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Hi all, I have a W124 Classic Mercedes (1993) which is my every day jalopy, I parked the car Friday after work, Went to start it today and noticed that the key would not go into the barrel. Something was stopping it, (I did notice recently that it would go in one way but not the other) Anyway i forced it into the barrel but it will not turn at all. So i have now filled the barrel with WD40, put the battery on smart charge and sworn a lot. Now I do remember on an Audi i used to own you couldn't turn the key unless the shifter was in P l position? So maybe the car believes that the shift is elsewhere?
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be as something niggles me that it is not the barrel at fault.....
Thank you

Hi aston, you have probably sorted that problem by now but if you haven't I would suggest to you that it sounds like your key barrel internals have collapsed, p1 position shouldn't stop your key from going into the barrel, that's more of a (to stop you from trying to start the car in gear) also wd40 into the key barrel is a bit of a no no, key tumblers require a dry lube like "graphite powder". I would remove the key barrel from the car and inspect for serviceability.

cheers