If you think bigger brakes will stop your car quicker, read this

so bigger brakes are really only for cars driving fast down mountain passes where the brakes are used a lot and on cars using race tracks?

Although I agree 100% that good tyres are a must as is suspension condition and on normal cars standard brakes in tip top condition are plenty good enough. Cars like the 3000GT/GTO for instance have a decent brake set up, which in good condition is suffice for road use with stock performance, when you start asking them to pull up a modified motor, they fall short of expectancy.
I uprated my fronts to 355mm discs with six pot calipers, my originals were 297/4 pot. Mitsu themselves even uprated them to 320mm/4 pot after a couple of years.
I noticed the difference immediately and this was running on Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres, all brand new and always in top condition, pressures monitored etc.
I also uprated the rears, all lines and fluid.
There's many things to consider in braking too, obviously. Master cylinder power/clamping pressure at the discs and M/C condition too, along with fluid quality and condition.
You will only exert as much pressure to the calipers as your Master Cylinder can transfer, simple as that, pushing harder on the pedal when it has reached it's optimum exertion won't make a blind bit of difference. Releasing and re-applying will, hence over riding ABS or employing a similar system if your car is of the non ABS variety.
I was taught cadence braking at a very early stage in driving and skid pan training and have always employed this method, ABS or not, as I know what the car is doing by feel, therefore have a better impression in my mind of how well I'm stopping.
This all goes back to one of my favourite points, learn to drive correctly after passing your driving test and you will become acquainted with; a) better road positioning, b) far better roadcraft and vision in general and c) how to avoid dangers and how to improve your chances of getting out of them if the worst does happen.
You can never predict what someone else will do but education at an early age will give you a far better chance of reading it. It's a bit like experience brought forward.

I must add that prior to upgrading, my standard brakes were in top condition, new discs/pads/lines all round, new brake fluid and master cylinder in good condition.

I must add that prior to upgrading, my standard brakes were in top condition, new discs/pads/lines all round, new brake fluid and master cylinder in good condition.

When you braked hard, could you lock up your standard brakes?

The car has ABS which is fully functional. Plus I've never had to lock my brakes so I can't answer that question with a 100% certainty. At speed I have always been fully aware of what's around me and distances, so knock off speed if the vehicle in front becomes too close for safety, or if there's an idiot too close behind too, as I don't trust them to brake efficiently.
I do know 100% that my braking performance was improved, I'm old [daft] enough to tell the difference.
It's a damn heavy car, ask anyone who has one to tell you about the braking ability at high speeds of the stock system. Yes of course it's functional but you wouldn't want to put too much trust in it, especially over a prolonged period of time.
I fully understand the report but reports are as good as the writer. It's a bit like the climate debate, one set of results will show that we are melting whilst another set will show that we can expect a resurgence of wooly mammals in the next decade.
I'm only adding MY experience, it is only to be taken as that, not a written gospel. :bigsmile:

Mine has 324mm fronts standard and 298mm rear standard. All are vented. Jurid pads all round and fluid is DO4 ESP low viscosity stuff.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 at the front, Michelin Primacy 3 at the rear.

I cannot fault the stopping ability at all.

Basically a big brake upgrade will make the braking performance more consistent over more brake applications due to it's greater mass & ability to dissipate/absorb heat .
Over a number of laps & QR I was able to brake later and harder and more confidently than with the stock brakes which began to fade so I needed to apply them earlier.
FWIW I have deleted the dust covers and have installed flexible ducting from
the front spoiler to direct cool air into the centre of the discs.

Track use yes, but speeds are higher so therefor airflow is better. It's cooling and consistent performance that matters.

On the road if anyone is smoking their pads/discs then it's time to reconsider driving style big time

Track use yes, but speeds are higher so therefor airflow is better. It's cooling and consistent performance that matters.

On the road if anyone is smoking their pads/discs then it's time to reconsider driving style big time

Agreed :D