If someone says to you that building a car is quick and easy......

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
...they haven't done it.

Just spent a good part of this afternoon finishing the rear suspension of my project car that I thought I had more or less completed.

What have I been doing? Removing CV bolts that were only first fit, cleaning threads prior to application of loctite, smearing lubrication on bolt head mating surfaces so torque settings are correct then replacing and torquing to correct setting. Finally, a dab of torque seal to show that they are torqued up. This also acts as proof that bolt is still tight during a visual inspection at the race track.

Other bolts included damper fittings and brackets, brake pipes, wishbone rod ends (leaving bushed ends until car is sitting at road height on ground) plus various brackets and support plate, all using above method.

I think back end is now actually finished, but I will give it a final check and look over tomorrow to see what I have missed :)

Actually, no it isn't. Need to look up torque setting for hub nut!

Sounds like you need a second pair of eyes over the car after you. I find that helps as it is all too easy to miss something when so close to a project or large task. Have you considered lockwiring certain assemblies or joints?

A lot of tasks take a lot longer that you would imagine! Cars are particularly bad for this, especially if you are working on an old one with rusted on bolts and things that will shear off! New builds are also risky as a lot of the bits are custom and will not always work well together or join up properly!

Good work though, I take my hat off to you!

I have found that the final assembly is just stage one in a series of shakedowns, numerous adjustments and fettling.

I agree perfection takes time. I ordered some very special pistons on 17th December 2013 they arrived with me 15th December 2014 & I then sent them to have the balancing checked. I pick them up on Friday. I could have ordered pistons almost as good & a hell of a lot cheaper & got them in a couple of weeks but that's not what pushing boundaries is about.
Keep at it OG it will be worth it.

Sounds like you need a second pair of eyes over the car after you. I find that helps as it is all too easy to miss something when so close to a project or large task. Have you considered lockwiring certain assemblies or joints?

My neighbour's son will be going over the car for me.

Considered lockwiring. However, lockwire doesn't actually stop a bolt from working loose, only from falling out :) Correct torque and loctite will do the job. With all nuts and bolts torque sealed any loosening will be visible.

My neighbour's son will be going over the car for me.

Considered lockwiring. However, lockwire doesn't actually stop a bolt from working loose, only from falling out :) Correct torque and loctite will do the job. With all nuts and bolts torque sealed any loosening will be visible.

I beg to differ there, agree that it won't hold the torque load applied but lockwiring is designed to avoid the loosening of the fixing if the correct pattern has been applied. However if using self-locking nuts then it is not required. It would look rather good with some parts lockwired, but adding weight.................think we know the answer to that one! ;)

Quote from Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook:

" I use a lot of safety wire. I use it for two reasons.

First, safety wire on a bolt head provides an easy and positive visual indication that someone has tightened it. We don't even want to think about the mentality that would allow anyone to safety wire a bolt without first checking to make sure that it is tight.

Second, if a bolt does loosen, the safety wire will prevent it from falling out. Contrary to popular belief, even the best job of safety wiring will contribute virtually nothing to the task of preventing a bolt from loosening to the point where effective levels of residual stress disappear. All the safety wire can do is limit the rotation of a bolt and prevent its physical departure. Even when the bolt breaks, a good job of safety wiring may save the day because the bolt head won't fall out and get jammed in the works."

I don't have heros. But if I did it would be Carroll.

For those of you who haven't heard of Carroll, this is an extract from Wiki:

Carroll Smith (1932–2003) was a successful professional race car driver, engineer, and author.

Born and raised in the northeast United States, Carroll Smith began racing MGs while attending the University of Rochester. Entering SCCA events in Pensacola, Florida at the time, he was enlisted in the US Navy.

Carroll moved to Europe where he befriended John Cooper. Driving a Formula Junior Cooper, he won his first race. After waning success in the Cooper cars, followed by a characteristically clear-eyed personal assessment that he lacked the ability to drive race cars at the highest levels, he returned to the United States and began working with Carroll Shelby and the Ford Motor Company on the GT40 Le Mans program. Smith oversaw the preparation on the cars that won the 1966 and 1967 24 Hours of Le Mans.

After winning Le Mans with the GT40 cars from 1966 to 1969 (inclusive), FIA rules changes caused Ford to cancel the GT40 program. Smith moved to work with American Under-2.5 Liter Trans Am champion Tony Adamowicz to work on his F5000 car in 1969. Smith led the team to the championship that year. In his many writings, Adamowicz credits Smith with successfully focusing his driving and tuning efforts.

After that victory, he began working on 'Prepare to Win'. Smith later consulted for the Ferrari Formula One team and in 1977 he was team manager for the Moffat Ford Dealers Team in Australia; the team winning both the Australian Touring Car Championship and the Bathurst 1000 endurance race. In later life Smith exercised his interest in racing by running vintage cars. Carroll was an active and avid Society of Automotive Engineers member.

Smith succumbed to pancreatic cancer in 2003 at his home in Northern California, leaving his daughter Dana, his son Christopher, and his fiancée Ginger. Carroll's former wife, Jane, died on October 15, 1994 after a fall from a balcony in their home while she was gardening. Carroll himself notes: "She went doing what she liked best, enjoying the ocean view and gardening...secure in the love of her family and friends and in the respect of her co-workers and students."

Smith's books were well received by drivers and mechanics alike because of their affable, direct, and clear writing style. After writing a series of books about different aspects of racing car preparation, tuning and engineering practice, each with "... to Win" in the title, he wrote The Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, and Plumbing Handbook about the fasteners and plumbing parts often used in cars. When Smith announced the forthcoming book, he proclaimed his intent to title it "Screw to Win," which (he claimed) the publisher then disallowed. His readers and fans, naturally, refer to the book by just that title.