If a dealer does a trade sold as seen sale is there any comeback?

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
When buying a car from a dealer I was wondering if you are offered a Trade deal or a sold as seen deal do you have any comeback if the car turns out to be faulty or has a problem?

These term 'sold as seen' has NO legal standing what so ever.

When you buy a used motor vehicle from a trader, you are entering into a legally binding contract.

You have the right to expect the vehicle to be of a satisfactory quality; fit for the purpose, and, as described.

Misleading consumers by using phrases such as “Trade Sale – Sold as Seen” or “No Refunds” is not only illegal but also completely voids the contract.

The only phrases that would completely cover the seller would be sold as non runner or sold as spares.

Is legal and acceptable over here provided it is signed by the buyer before taking delivery in private sales/transactions.
Curious as to why it won't work in the UK.
:oops: my bad .V( should CYA = Cover Your Arse

Last edited:
On a private sale it isnt really neccessary because if it is a private sale in the UK the seller isnt expected to have any mechanical knowledge so unless it is wrongly descibed there is little to no comeback .

Thats why a trade sale is different - by definition a motor trader should know the condition of the car so he is responsible if it isnt fit for purpose.

I have just unfortunately bought a lemon from a trader, It's my fault I guess for trusting the guy.
very expensive mistake, Audi A6 3.0tdi smoking at idle, interestingly it was bought as a cat D which i believe are always understood to be spares or repair, ie no warranty,
Gutted as it's going to cost me thousands as I can't and won't lie.
put me completely off VAG products,
Have spoke to 2 mechanics and a dealer also VAG owning friends, seems that VAG reliability especially the diesels is a myth

@aston sorry to hear that. Imo quality tailed of around 2006.

Hopefully the VAG group will learn and work hard to restore their former reputation.

i was told german cars pre 2002 are fairly good but then again so were most cars.
mercedes died in March 1993 when the accountants took over from the engineers

Is there a car specific sale of goods act in the UK? I believe some countries have what is called a Lemon law relating the sale of cars.

Selling a car ( or anything else for that matter) that has a major known fault without disclosing it is contrary to the sale of good act in the uk.
But as said a bit earlier a private seller isn't required or expected to know whether his car is sound or not .This of course means by definition that the seller only has to say he was not aware of the problem and he isn't liable.
Equally buyers have to show some diligence. You can't buy a crocodile and complain when it eats your cat.
That's why the rules on 'private traders' were tightened up a few years ago.

So sold as seen means absolutely nothing , traders are still liable and private sellers are not whether it is on the receipt or not.
Sold as a non runner or for spares however will remove the liability from a trader because it changes what has been purchased . You are only liable for what you have sold.