Idling speeds

Maathemet

Car
Ibiza 1.4 16v
Hi just quick question, .

My car idles at about 1000 rpm when it's just turned on. I.e. when the engine is cold. Then as it warms up I notice the revs go down abit and stay there to about 750 ( cant remember exactly). And then one time it was freezing outside and i noticed it start to idle abit more than 1000.

Is that controlled on purpose to help warm up the engine or is it a sign of engine problem?

Yes it is planned like that. The engine is designed to get up to temp quickly as it is more economical and smooth running.

I doubt a cold engine could idle at just 750rpm, it would just misfire and die.

The older members on here remember having to pull out the choke on a cold day until the engine warms up which made it run rich otherwise it would stall.

Classic joke about the driver pulling out the choke and hanging the handbag on it :)

Last car I had with a manual choke was an '84 Nova.

Last edited:
Classic joke about the driver pulling out the choke and hanging the handbag on it :)

True story waaaaaay back when Morris Minor 1000 were new I clearly recall seeing one belching black smoke and when I pulled along side whe lady had the choke out and a bag hanging off it:eek: .V(

Hi just quick question, .

My car idles at about 1000 rpm when it's just turned on. I.e. when the engine is cold. Then as it warms up I notice the revs go down abit and stay there to about 750 ( cant remember exactly). And then one time it was freezing outside and i noticed it start to idle abit more than 1000.

Is that controlled on purpose to help warm up the engine or is it a sign of engine problem?

Yes the off the accelerator idle speeds are simply the ISC (Idle Speed Controller) doing it's job, slightly higher revs when the motor is cold and lower when it warms up.:)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back