'Idling' motorists in Westminster to face £20 fines

This is crazy! It's ok if you're car has stop start technology but even that doesn't work until the engine has warmed up.

Reading the article the fine is only if they refuse to turn it off! But paying for special Marshals to go round asking motorists to turn off their engines seems more wasteful than any savings this initiative could bring.

Yeah, you really couldnt pay me enough to have to go up to people's cars and tell them to switch their engines off. I can see the job ad now. "Do YOU like verbal abuse and the permanent risk of physical harm? Then we've got the job for you."

Hopefully this will help stop those people (idiots) who think it's acceptable to sit in their idling car for up to an hour while they chat on their phone, and those too lazy to turn off their engine whilst they wait to pick someone up.

Save the 'wasted' fuel for those of us need it to move.

Increased fuel demand = more expense at the pumps.

Just thinking here no sain brit would do this job so are they making jobs for the immigrants?

Hopefully this will help stop those people (idiots) who think it's acceptable to sit in their idling car for up to an hour while they chat on their phone, .

Well I own & run a medium sized business which requires me to be on the road a fair bit visiting clients. I use an iPad with accessories and a laptop with power hungry accessories. The use of these items require me to sit on occasion in the car as an extension of my office. The SAAB 9-3 SS uses a complicated system that engages all kinds of computers with just the ignition on and will kill the battery in under 20 minutes if the engine is not turning over, yet alone with gadgets plugged into the accessory socket.

and those too lazy to turn off their engine whilst they wait to pick someone up.

Again, I personally only switch off the engine in this scenario if I have arrived early and have lots of time to kill, plus this would also depend on the time of year that this is happening. Ordinarily my car is a thirsty monster so it is not in my interest to keep the car running for no reason.

Save the 'wasted' fuel for those of us need it to move.

Really? :confused:

W ell I own & run a medium sized business which requires me to be on the road a fair bit visiting clients. I use an iPad with accessories and a laptop with power hungry accessories. The use of these items require me to sit on occasion in the car as an extension of my office. The SAAB 9-3 SS uses a complicated system that engages all kinds of computers with just the ignition on and will kill the battery in under 20 minutes if the engine is not turning over, yet alone with gadgets plugged into the accessory socket

Sounds like a legitimate reason for you to idle - I was referring to those who are on a mobile who think its acceptable to leave their car on whilst they chat away; not those with legitimate electrical consumption issues/requirements.

Again, I personally only switch off the engine in this scenario if I have arrived early and have lots of time to kill, plus this would also depend on the time of year that this is happening. Ordinarily my car is a thirsty monster so it is not in my interest to keep the car running for no reason.

Unfortunately not everyone shares your common sense - hence the law makers need to get involved

Yes. Every ml of fuel wasted should have been put to better use. It took thousands/millions of year to make yet because of people ignorance, lack of understanding, and self righteousness - they think that they can burn without consequence, and pollute the atmosphere just to make their life easier.

It is an infinite resource, and should be cherished - not wasted.

People now understand that cigarette smoke is bad, but I ask how is the smoke produced by a cigarette any worse than what comes out of an exhaust pipe?