Ideas for basic guides - what you want to see in this section

I posted up a question about how many could change a wheel which is something i think is very basic and everyone should know how to do this.

what this thread is for is ideas for other guides

such as

checking / changing oil
checking / changing sparks
basic guide to change pads and discs
basic wiring for stereos
basic wiring for additional lighting

we already have an MOT checklist so this is something that could added.

does anybody have any other ideas or even their own guide to how to do anything?
must be their own so not to infringe anybody elses work

This will remain a sticky for one week (until 14th) so all members can find it easy if you get it by inspiration

Re: Ideas for basic guides (stickied until 14/02)

Brake fluid
Tyre pressures
Tyre condition (tread, nails, damage)
Light bullb changing (can be difficult on modern cars)
Water level
Antifreeze

how about basic paint touch up (i.e. light filling/sanding/spraying etc... for small dents which cant be popped out)

Isn't some of this dealt with in the main site already? I think it would work better to have a DIY section on the main site and perhaps model specific guides in the makes and models section.

Some of this is already covered - I know the stone chip repair is under car care. I've also covered servicing in a very general way. I was thinking of doing some DIY guides in the main site but feel free to post up your own guides here. If they are good enough I'll port them over to be main site articles for all to see.

DIY for cars is a good idea, more people I know are having a go themselves to save a bit of money.

I would like to see some advise on safety procedures, just basic stuff like jacking up AND supporting cars on proper axle stands, the wearing of safety goggles and gloves when welding/grinding and suitable clothing, seems daft but just today I saw in the press a young girl had been killed when her scarf got caught in the drivetrain of a gokart she was driving..... . . .not a nice way to go and a sad loss of a young life.
I speak from experience guys, after 30 years in the trade 3 visits to casualty to have metal removed from my eyes and once for a slip with an angle grinder and unbeleivably recently I managed to chop the top off one of my fingers, luckily its grown back but will be a problem for the rest of my days. All this was acheived with me being quite careful but not careful enough...........lets be careful out there it takes a nano second to seriously hurt yourself and it aint big or funny;)

Last edited:
I'm sure I can throw a guide or 2 together just from some of the pics I have of my past cars. The engine conversion on the Vectra for one, throttle body enlargement, filter replacements and guides for cold air feeds, fitting suspension... I could go on for hours lol

I'm sure I can throw a guide or 2 together just from some of the pics I have of my past cars. The engine conversion on the Vectra for one, throttle body enlargement, filter replacements and guides for cold air feeds, fitting suspension... I could go on for hours lol

That would be really great and highly appreciated.:bigsmile:

I'll do an oil change one after christmas if no-one beats me to it because the blue one needs doing. Oh, and coolant flush and replace soon but need to get hold of a new washer bottle first.

Safety procedures would definately be a good one. I'm deadly :lol::lol::lol: Using correct jacking points, using axel stands etc etc

:p Aye, an explanation of terms such as "Jesus clips."

Which are so called because "JESUS!!!" is what you shout the 10th time it's sprung off and disappeared into the engine bay.

good man
thumb.gif
i need to do mines again, bount to be getting full of crud

Boost mileage per gallon by at least 10

buy a more efficient car ;) , your gallons are less than ours so makes that even more difficult. you might be able to gain a few but nothing like that from a petrol easily.

for me to increase mpg by 10 id need to make my engine use 31% less fuel over the same difference. my official figure is 32mpg

Hello, i am 6 year late but I want to see some Basic Guide too chose best wheel and tire for your car does it's possible ? Basic guide on how to chose the best and cheaper coilover ?