Idea for modding rear light clusters

MickieH

Torque Junkie
Car
Probe 2.5L 24v V6
The thing with owning a Probe is you can't really get any rear light clusters other than standard.

Standard
DSC03431.jpg

I do have a set of US rear spec lights, but they don't have any orange section for the indicators.

Early US spec
DSC03438.jpg

I could have used the reverse sections, but they are too far inboard legally.

So, my idea is to seperate the lens from the housing and get a plastics company to manufacture a clear lens. Maybe lightly smoked, not sure yet.

I want to remove the plastic bulb holders from the housing and fit in flat plastic sections which I can then line with LEDs.

I can then design my own look sidelights, brakes, etc.

Before the LED's go in I'm then spraying the housing black.

Once the LEDs are in and the new lens fitted, it will give the impression of blacked out lights from a distance, but should hopefully look pretty cool :D and still be bright enough.

Normal blacked out lights always look to dim to me and unsafe in bright daylight.

What do you think?

You can experiment with how they'd look black. Take them out and grab a pair of tights to cover with. Then put them back in with the tights on (the lights - not yourself). It should give you an idea.

Completely custom does sound good though. I think the early spec lights look better (without the orange sections).

You can experiment with how they'd look black. Take them out and grab a pair of tights to cover with. Then put them back in with the tights on (the lights - not yourself). It should give you an idea.

Completely custom does sound good though. I think the early spec lights look better (without the orange sections).

If her indoors sees me running round the car with a pair of tights I'm liable to get a bashing :lol::lol:

Know what you mean though.

The earlier US spec lights do look a lot better, and there's a few Probes knocking about with them on. The only problem is the indicators in the reverse sections look wrong and aren't legal there going by the construction and use regs.

I fancy going completely custom so I can design my own layout for the LED's and have a clear lens with black background. I know the custom lens isn't going to be e marked and so not entirely legal from what I've read, but at least the lights will be in the right place.

Still going to have to figure out the flash speed on the indicators though - going to need some ballast to slow them down or something.

If her indoors sees me running round the car with a pair of tights I'm liable to get a bashing :lol::lol:

Just don't tell her! :lol:

The earlier US spec lights do look a lot better, and there's a few Probes knocking about with them on. The only problem is the indicators in the reverse sections look wrong and aren't legal there going by the construction and use regs.

I fancy going completely custom so I can design my own layout for the LED's and have a clear lens with black background. I know the custom lens isn't going to be e marked and so not entirely legal from what I've read, but at least the lights will be in the right place.

Still going to have to figure out the flash speed on the indicators though - going to need some ballast to slow them down or something.

If you're going completely custom, and with the non-'E' marked lenses then I would try and make it reversable as a fail safe. I.E. MOT regulations.

Prince said:
Just don't tell her! :lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

SHe has a 6th sense - she'd know :lol:

Prince said:
If you're going completely custom, and with the non-'E' marked lenses then I would try and make it reversable as a fail safe. I.E. MOT regulations.

Oh, I have plenty of spares - I can always just swap them back if needs be.

I've rigged them so the wiring to the plugs is the same, and only changed the wiring with the harness of the lamps themselves, so just plug and play for a standard set :cool:

Well as soon as I start on it, I'll get some pics up and keep the updates coming.

Hopefully they should turn out quite interesting.

A trick I do is look at other cars, look at the shape of the lights, see if you can make them fit. I do this with my cars.... Looking at the back of the Probe it would be quite easy to update the lights to a newer design... OK I say easy, how good are you with a welder?

This is the original car a 96 XK8

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-before-10102.jpg

After

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-after-10101.jpg

I fitted XF lights which I am doing to my own car, I must admit I reckon they would work on a probe, similar shape? Plenty of after market stuff for the Mitsubishi GT3000, maybe a set of those might work.

Here's another I done but I made some fog lights to go with it, too difficult, too much time, too expensive, which is why I dropped the idea

xkracer-70408-albums-jaguars-i-have-worked-1860-picture-2004-xkr-convertible-xf-light-conversion-6979.jpg

But I did tint them, I did the spray stuff, not tidy enough, was not happy, so what I did was got them wrapped in a slightly tinted clear film, everything matched well so you dont see the miss matched colours like you do here..

xkracer-70408-albums-more-xks-i-have-worked-3362-picture-xkr-convertible-xf-lights-10103.jpg

I like what you've done jagz but I do think that the original rear end looks better,I always rather liked that about the 1st gen XK8's around that era 96 ish.

Each to theri own I say...... I hate the original rear end, you have all these tight lines up the front and the rear goes all wobbly, lumpy and bumpy, like the backend was designed by a completely different guy from the front....

I would be willing to try cutting and welding so I can fit some different lights although I'm not greatly experienced with a welder.

Those GTO rear lights are very similar . . . I'd not considered those.

I've always been wary of blacking out lights due to the reduction in brightness.
This is why I was thinking of black background with coloured LED's and a clear lens. Hopefully best of both worlds then.

As for each to their own, I know that very well as there's not many as like the Probe for whatever reason.

For me it's not so much as whether I like what it looks like afterwards, rather I like to see the modifications that can be made, how it's done, and the ingenuity involved to get there. That's what I like to see.

Fair play mate. It's nice to see someone that not only thinks outside the box, but does the work himself. That's where the rewards are. It's also important to enjoy it.

What about Mitsubishi Eclipse lights?
9661471Mitsubishi_Eclipse.jpg

ive got the spray on light tint (says for offroad use) i was going to do light coats untill its to the required darkness. going to buy a spare set of tail lights and front side indicaters which i will tint then replace the old ones with the tinted ones.
i will swap them around for my Warrant of Fitness (i dont know what you guys call it over where youre from)
shall see how well this goes...

ive got the spray on light tint (says for offroad use) i was going to do light coats untill its to the required darkness. going to buy a spare set of tail lights and front side indicaters which i will tint then replace the old ones with the tinted ones.
i will swap them around for my Warrant of Fitness (i dont know what you guys call it over where youre from)
shall see how well this goes...

We call it an MOT in the UK. If you're tinting rear lights be sure all your warning lights can still be seen.

We call it an MOT in the UK. If you're tinting rear lights be sure all your warning lights can still be seen.

yeah, thanks prince, the laws here states that they have to reflect light back from 150 meters away or something along these lines. so will be doin a few coats untill its dark enough and follows the legal guidelines. :toung:

yeah, thanks prince, the laws here states that they have to reflect light back from 150 meters away or something along these lines. so will be doin a few coats untill its dark enough and follows the legal guidelines. :toung:

What are the cops like around your way as well? Something to take into account if they're likely to get picky.

Jagz, I have splashed out today and bought 6 lucky dips for tomorrow nights Euro lottery! If it comes in I shall definitely be phoning you in the new year! :bigsmile:

not yet. as i havnt really done much. just exhaust done atm. going to be a slow project. maybe i should start a thread and outline what im planning to do? and that way get some suggestions and ideas?

not yet. as i havnt really done much. just exhaust done atm. going to be a slow project. maybe i should start a thread and outline what im planning to do? and that way get some suggestions and ideas?

Definitely do it mate! Pictures of when you first got it, plans, any mods done. I'm sure everyone will give loads of input as well.

Jagz, I have splashed out today and bought 6 lucky dips for tomorrow nights Euro lottery! If it comes in I shall definitely be phoning you in the new year! :bigsmile:

I will be waiting ;)

I have "another" project I will starting soon and I am going to fit Fiesta MK7 lights but on the horizontal plane rather than vertical, should work out well I reckon :blink:

I will be waiting ;)

I have "another" project I will starting soon and I am going to fit Fiesta MK7 lights but on the horizontal plane rather than vertical, should work out well I reckon :blink:

Outstanding! look forward to the next thrilling instalment! It's better than watching the TV :)