I want something meaty!

tumnus19

Car
Seat ibiza 1.2
sappenin,
I wanna put something with a bit of balls in my 2002 ibiza
Currently got the tiny 1.2 3 cyl beast in it but need sumat witha bit of go.
What is a decent engine to drop in that wouldnt cost me an arm and a leg?

what are the engine mounts like, ive already done a fiesta puma conversion for my brother and that was a doddle as there were no engine mounts that needed changing.

It could be cheaper to buy 1.8T Ibiza, but that depends for how much you can buy engine and transmission and I supposse an ECU to. (not sure about ECU).
Also what come to mind is dashboard if yours got different graphic or "calibration".
Also in 1.8T there are biger brakes with different hubs. Not sure about engine mount points either...
Maybe if you can buy real cheap one after crash and transplate everything you need intoo your chassis and buy replacement parts which are damaged in crash.
Like all in mechanics - it is doable but at what price?

buying would be cheaper but the 1,8 would drop in.
Zwaf ECU is different and needs to be programmed to match the engine, keys and imobilier in the dash

Thanks, PGarner! I thought in that direction but wasn't sure how to pronounce it in English so I improvised a little.:)

Tumnus, whatever you choose to do it would be interesting to read and for you to drive. 1.8T seems to have a lot potential for squising power out of him.:p

hi mate dont be put off by everyone saying is gnna cst this and that as i dne a conversion in my audi last year and believe me it has cost me less to do it this way than to go and buy 1 already set up like that.

however sourcing parts from early is always a good start as i looked around for a year before i underwent my car surgery and believe me i am more han happy with the results depending on the mileage of the engine it shouldnt cost u more than £750 including gearbox but again alot of sourcing will be involved.

i travelled to ireland just to pick up a certain pipe i was going there anyway but not the point.
anything can be done with different types of budget just depends on how dirty you are prepared to get your hands.:D

Last edited:
If I decripted the above post well, I could agree with that if you got patience to look after items with low bids on ebay, and checking adds regularly you could source most needed stuff for a lot less money. After that, if you got skill and knowledge you can do it yourself.
But if you are not so knowledgefull (is that a word?)and you must pay for every mod and tweak and have no resource to put things together out of scratch you will spend a lot of money.
Either way I really wish you succede for what ever you aim.

you can pick up 1.8t cars for a couple of grand now.
by the time youve bought the engine and gearbox - most seem to go around a grand, suspension, hubs, brakes, ECU and got it programed you could be about the same but then youve got the loaded insurance premium as well

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back