I want my horsies back.

Boringname

Car
E55 AMG
Hello have just purchased a 03 E55 AMG with 60k miles on the clock. Have done a performance service, software upgrade and changed the rear diff. When dyno test done only reached 402 bhp, is it normal for this car to lose around 20% of its power over 11 years. Also what else can I do to try to get my horsies back.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

What exactly is a "performance service" on the E55 ?

When you say "software upgrade" do you mean a Mercedes electronics software upgrade or an engine remap?

Hello have just purchased a 03 E55 AMG with 60k miles on the clock. Have done a performance service, software upgrade and changed the rear diff. When dyno test done only reached 402 bhp, is it normal for this car to lose around 20% of its power over 11 years. Also what else can I do to try to get my horsies back.

Thanks for replying so quick engine remap and performance service same as a normal except you get charged more

Are they measuring true engine power or just power at the wheels - whp, and then calculating engine power?

If whp then there is always a margin of error as you have to estimate transmission power losses.

Cars do lose power but with only 60k on you wouldn't think it would lose much.

Wish I had "only" 402bhp though, lol. (;->

Thanks for replying so quick engine remap and performance service same as a normal except you get charged more

As a note, I find this is the problem/issue with a manufacturers power upgrade. They always tend to err on the side of caution. They will give you just enough bhp & torque for you to notice and that they can comfortably allow to be included in their manufacturers warranty.
Are you sure your dyno chart did not show up any tailing off of power or spikes on the curves? A quick glance shows standard power for your car was 469 BHP @ 6100rpm and 516 lb-ft @ 2650-4500rpm. Assuming that there is no real engine power issues here, is there a way to see if your power was deliberately reduced in the MAP to save on as an example - gearbox? My own car has been mapped down to reduce torque because of my auto box fitted, so this too should be looked into.

Another point to mention here, at the time of the dyno test, was the electronic traction control switched off?

Please correct me if wrong but dont manufacturers quote engine flywheel HP which is higher than the power at the tyres as measured on a dyno which will always be lower due to drivetrain losses ???

Last edited:
There is a formula that can be used to give a FW HP number but I always want to know what the actual power my car has at the tyres.
The dyno I use is a Dyno Dynamics and it is important to use the same one each time to get an accurate answer to any mods as different dyno can give :different results.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back