I want an MR2

AD08

Wrench Pro
Car
Civic 1.6SE 02
I've been looking to upgrade from my civic 1.6 for a while now and had my heart set on a type r (convinced i wanted to stick with honda for life lol).
But after doing some research into it, its going to cost alot more for me to insure than i've got. So i started looking around at fiesta ST's, clio sports etc but these still where guna cost me alota money to insure at insurance group 15.
Then i looked at a quote on an 04 plate mr2 roadster and was suprised at how cheap it was to insure; atleast 1500 cheaper than a clio sport.
f**ckin great! A rear wheel drive, mid engined convertable sports car insurance group 13, i want 1!
So before i commit to it is there any useful info anyones got about mr2 roadsters? Pros n cons
from what i've seen the 1.8 engine is the same in all the specs 0-62 in 7.9.
+ has anyone got any good ideas on modifying these.

The Turbo engines are insanely quick but there are a few supercharged examples around. Not sure if this was an aftermarket mod or if Toyota did a supercharged version.

There are probably more parts and options for the MK2 than the MK1. They are nicely balanced. I think the later MK2 had some suspension upgrades that made things even better but I can't remember the year this happened.

i dont know what years the uk had the mr2 but in the us it was in 93 that the suspension was upgraded...so definetly for the mr2 with the upgraded suspention if you go for the mk2

I was thinking it was around 92/93 - about the same time we got emissions regulations and cars had catalysts fitted.

I've just been looking at these myself (after I looked at the elise and saw the prices :() They don't loo quite as nice as the elise I know, but these are a bargain. I am talking about the mk3 versions, the roadsters like AD08 is talking about I think, I'm not to keen on buying any pre-2000 cars so not the mk2 really.

Does anyone know why someone should'nt get one of these?

They are a pig to work on due to their mid mounted engine. Its almost an engine out to change the oil. As long as the cam belts been done you should be ok.

They are a pig to work on due to their mid mounted engine. Its almost an engine out to change the oil. As long as the cam belts been done you should be ok.

So they'll be expensive to service then? thats a 1 con towards it then.

I don't think that general servicing is too bad (plugs,filters oil etc...) I was exagerrating about the oil and engine removal;).

They are very nice handling cars particularly the later models. Early mk2's handling wasn't quite up to par the later Mk2's and the Turbo were real scortchers. The more recent one seems to be the best of the bunch.

is there a turbo version available on the newer ones, the roadster? ...and whats the difference between the MR-S and the MR2 Roadster? is one an import? :confused:

the mr-s is a roadster the mr2 is a coupe, the are both from toyota, there pretty easy to work on as long as its nothing major, mr-s is the newer version of the mr2, no it is not turbo

Bottom line-get one.:D

the mr-s is a roadster the mr2 is a coupe, the are both from toyota, there pretty easy to work on as long as its nothing major, mr-s is the newer version of the mr2, no it is not turbo

Ok now I'm confused :confused: , do you mean the mr-s is the newer version of the mr2, but they both look the same. I ask this, and I asked the original question because of the following, look for yourself:

here we have pictures of the MR2 (WITH MR2 Badges on the back)
these also have roasdster on them too

and here we have pictures of the MR-S (WITH MR-S badges on the back)

so whats the difference? :confused::confused:

I've found some info about this myself which seems to answere the question:

"In Japan, the car is called the MR-S, which purportedly is derived from the forementioned designation. Toyota changed the American name to "MR2 Spyder" reportedly because the idea of a car with the nickname of "Mrs." would sound funny."

This is quoted from www.cars-directory.net

Yeh those pics are of the MR-S even though it's badged as an MR-2. Its basically what replaced the good MR-2 before they turned into a hairdresser car. This new MK3 that they have done is a good car for a roadster but doesn't hold a candle to a nice Mk2, Jap imported 2.0 turbo MR-2. Nearly got one instead of my Scooby till i realised that standard scoobies waste them lol. But yeh not a bad car overall, just wouldn't be my first choice of shapes of the MR-2

Yeah I agree, the later MR2 isn't quite as appealing to look at as the MK2 version, but stick a couple of phat alloys on it, more so on the back, and you've mad and instant improvement! :D

"Nearly got one instead of my Scooby till i realised that standard scoobies waste them lol. But yeh not a bad car overall, just wouldn't be my first choice of shapes of the MR-2"

Aren't scoobies a bit higher maintanence though?

Aren't scoobies a bit higher maintanence though?

Err, yeh just a bit. Also depends on how it's driven and how the modifiactions have been made. You can get well over 300bhp from using far less than what I have put on. But I wanted a nice comfortable bhp and allow the engine to take it all day long. i.e. The standard turbo can be wound up quite high with boost to gain alot of bhp, but I put a bigger turbo on with less boost (1.2 bar or 16psi) and gained the same amount of power. That way I know I can still wind the boost up when the front mounted intercooler goes on and will leave the engine able to cope with the extra power.

My mates got one & it's a great car to drive. Don't forget they only weigh 750kg so they won't need as much power to make them very, very quick.

Check out these guys, this is where my mates car is going when he's saved up the pennies. :amuse:

Thor Racing

Check out these guys, this is where my mates car is going when he's saved up the pennies. :amuse:

Thor Racing

WOW! thats some serious money, I don't think I'll ever have that much to spare for mods! Probably be cheaper to buy a written off mr-s, take the engine out, modify the chassis of your car, and body, to fit a second engine in, then have twice the power!!!! HAHAHA :lol:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back