I regret buying a Golf 2.0 SDI, is there anything I can do?

zet

Car
golf
Hey guys,

first post and it's a longshot! Basically, I've just purchased a VW Golf 2.0 SDi, 5dr black. Admittedly I should have researched before purchasing it but alas I didn't. The car just doesn't pick up as 'fast' as I want it to. I'm no boy racer but this car feels sluggish (75BHP) where as I'm used to a Peugeot 206 (90BHP).

I'm really regretting this purchase as the car is perfect but not as fast as I want it to be. Are there any mods that can be done to the car to at least make it reasonable by my standards of 'fast' ? And how much is it likely to cost?

Thanks in advance!:sad2:

Hi,

thank you for the reply! Much appreciated. I was reading around and it was suggested to try 'everything else before trying a remap on an SDI' ...is there anything else worth 'modding' before the remap? Or should I just get the remap done as I've seen it'll take me from 75BHP to around 87BHP?

Also, is it possible to carry out the remap yourself? Any guides available on how to do this?

75 BHP out of a 2L SDI! :amazed: TBH I wouldn't have thought twice about it not being over 100bhp. That is bad. Sorry to hear about it. How old is it? Has it hit its final resting price, so if you were to re sell, you could basically get your money back??

Yeah basically its done 57,000 and I've only had it for around 2 or 3 days. The car is a 57 (2007). I've not considered reselling it but I think it's possible that I could make all my money back as the car is in good condition and will have had 2 owners (including me). It's also got MOT and tax etc.

I was thinking of just holding onto it for 1 year and then selling it (the maximum I will travel during that time will be around 15,000 miles).

Oh, and thanks for the welcoming!

Hah! Thanks for all the welcoming posts guys - I can feel the love :)

So, has anyone got any suggestions on what else I can do with my sluggish 2.0l :p

It appears celtic tuning don't currently support my vehicle. Hmm, can I get it remapped anywhere else? I currently reside in kent and will shortly be moving to portsmouth.

75 BHP out of a 2L SDI! :amazed: TBH I wouldn't have thought twice about it not being over 100bhp. That is bad. Sorry to hear about it. How old is it? Has it hit its final resting price, so if you were to re sell, you could basically get your money back??

I think you're getting mixed up with the TDI mate,

The SDI and TDI are a different engine, the SDI is non turbo.

HI there zet,

Right then mods, I'm afraid a remap won't yield much gains in performance due to the lack of a turbo, and what doesn't help as well is that the MK5 golf is a heavy car. A lot heavier than a Peugeot 206 so a Golf with 90 hp with be slower than a 206 with the same hp

The best things I can suggest at the moment are induction mods, have a look at your intake currently and take not of any restrictions and bends and see if you can straighten it out and use bigger bore pipe work, take the air filter out of the air box and have a look how big the box is, if there are is an abundance of ridges then then need to come out, best way is to remove the air box and cut the ridges out with a dremal then wash it out a few time to make sure there's no excess plastic left in.

After that exhaust maybe? something off the TDI might do the trick.
Maybe water/meths might bring some gains as well, try and contact DevilsOwn UK and see what they say. I've found Bruce Morris rather helpful so far on my quest for more power.
Then someone may be able to remap it for you, most places I've looked at say anything from a 12-15hp increase and with some other mods as described that maybe more.

Unfortuneately due to the fact the engine isn't turbocharged big gains really can't be had out of these. I wouldn't advise turbocharging your current engine as there are much easier way of going about said conversion, either with an engine swap or another car.

I would say due to the cost implied upon modding your current car, it's maybe cheaper to buy a TDI and sell your SDI, I'm sorry if I sound harsh but that's how the cookie crumbles I'm afraid.

I'm sorry I can't be more of a help as these engine were never tuned up because people wanting a big power diesel went for the TDI in the VAG (VW/Audi) range.

If you have anymore questions then don't hesitate to ask.

J

Jarrus is right.

On the other hand, you can accept what you have bought and enjoy it. Save up some money this year, enjoying your good fuel eco you will get on it (yes I am really saying this, Don't worry guys this advise does not come often, as you all know eco is not usually used inless it has tit at the end) and enjoy your nice safe, reliable Golf.

Then, next year, you can sell it (granted at about a 2k loss) and buy your self something a little quicker.

Ah, wow. thanks for the advice guys and thank you jarrus for the indepth analysis, much appreciated.

I think you're right. I will just keep the golf as is and sell it after one year. I think this has definitely taught me one thing: do your research :toung:

if you bought it from a garage you could take it back. it part of your statuary rights cant remember if its 10 or 14 days you get to return it;)

and welcome to tc's:D

ah thanks again for the welcome! I bought it from Cargiant in London, they said we don't take returns.

So, I'm considering taking the car back and doing a part-exchange and taking a loss. I think i'll lose perhaps around 300-400 quid?

I'm looking at this golf:

Volkswagen Golf1.9 TDi 105 Match 5 Dr Hatch 2007 (07)

My query is that it has the 'match' tag on it - what does this mean? As opposed to this which has a 'S' on it:

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 TDi 105 S 5 Dr Hatch 2008 (58)

It's the trim level/spec, I don't know how they apply to the golf so best to do your research this time. 1.9Tdi is a good engine, and one that many extra horses can be found out of.

To give you an idea just the difference on a remap would be,

2.0 SDI remap will gain you around 15 hp
1.9 TDi remap will gain you upwards of 60 hp!!!

BIG difference, and celtic say they can find more upon request with no additional parts....

to give you an idea on how strong these engines are, I've seen people running in excess of 300 hp on a standard engine (no uprated internals but bigger turbo etc.) so an increase of power like that is definately safe and the mid range welly will be awesome to say the least...

Last edited:
Oh I see. And thank you for replying. I've had the car since Monday so it's been 4 days.

Oh wow, I just contacted CarGiant. They told me that the car will have a £1500 drop if I bring it back as I have to part-exchange it.

Read through your paperwork when you bought the car.
There should be a section that informs you what the returns policy is. As far as i'm aware they have to honour a 14 day return policy.

Zet mate get shut of it and get a 2.0tdi, 140bhp version. There's loads of them about. Then get it remapped to 190bhp. Don't get the 1.9tdi in a mk5 Golf, it'll be the underpowered 115bhp version.

Read through your paperwork when you bought the car.
There should be a section that informs you what the returns policy is. As far as i'm aware they have to honour a 14 day return policy.

I've read through it. The finance company has a 14 day policy whereby I can back out of the finance and pay the money borrowed. Cargiant has no such policy and their is no mention of returns. I did a google search and it appears that one other person tried to return the car and he was only offered a part exchange.

Zet mate get shut of it and get a 2.0tdi, 140bhp version. There's loads of them about. Then get it remapped to 190bhp. Don't get the 1.9tdi in a mk5 Golf, it'll be the underpowered 115bhp version.

Ah if only I could. I'm due to start my new job on Monday so I really need the car. It would be alot of hassle to try and sell it for full price and make my money back.