i need help choosing a tire!!

lt93civic

Wrench Pro
Car
93 Civic, jdm d16zc
i live in idaho. and if your not familiar with idaho then ill fill ya in. its raining or snowing half the year, the rest of the time its perfect and sunny. i cant decide what brand or type of tire to get. should i get a winter set and a summer set? or just buy seasonal tires? i want to race my honda so i dont want crappy tires.
let me know what you think, thanks!!

do you have the budget for sets of wheels and tyres ?

ie one set of wheels and tyres with all season tyres
and a set for the track with track day tyres

or if your really flush a set with all season, set with winter for the colder months and a set for the track

i have about $1000 i can spend on tires atm. i have a set but there getting worn. i wont need the winter tires for another 6 months.

id say look towards getting another set of wheels - 2nd hand if theyre not buckled and using them for the track. as you will wear them out quickly on there

I'd say get a summer and winter set. They will last longer in the long run and provide better grip in both conditions. Plus you can limp home from the track on your winter set if you run the tread right down on your summer ones.

Yokahoma, Goodyear, Michelin and Hankook are all good brands in my book. The Eagle F1's and Paradas are pretty good for cornering grip.

Buying cheap tires is often a false economy, they will tend to have a much shorter lifespan and provide a lot less grip.

Living in Scotland it is always raining and I mean always!!! I run a set of Toyo Proxes T1R's and they are great in the wet weather and also handle in dry conditions. AS for Snow Iive not driven in snow with them but I don't think they'd be up to what you are after.

Being honest if you get them as your everyday runners or something similair like a good set of Yokohama's maybe the C series and then get another set of wheels for track days. Keep in mind you should be able to pick up part used tyres for track days at half the cost and as long as your not endurance racing they should last the day and then chuck them at the end?!

Hope this helps

thanks guys!! that really helps. another question is do rims do anything but add wieght and style to the car?? is any brand really better then another? i found some i really like im just not sure if there are better brands to put on your car then others

thanks guys!! that really helps. another question is do rims do anything but add wieght and style to the car?? is any brand really better then another? i found some i really like im just not sure if there are better brands to put on your car then others

Different wheels weigh in at different weights. Replica wheels tend to be heavier and a fair amount of aftermarket wheels tend to be heavier than the OEM wheels. An example of this would be Wolfrace. The reason a lot of rims are cheap is because they are cheaply made and so heavy. Personally I run BBS rims and they are excellent quality and fairly light (in comparison). I know Rota do quite a good selection of lightweight rims for Hondas.

What wheels are you looking at?

Pro-Race did some lightweight stuff that would fit. As for tyres alot would depend on amount and depth of snowfall for winter use. A set of all-round would be good and a set for track use. I do this, I have Falken 452s for all year and another set of scrubbed tyres for track use. I have had Toyo T1Rs but found them to be less grippy in wet weather and very good in the summer, but too soft for track use as they wear quickly but it might be my driving style :blink1:

ill back up stamford the 452 are a mid range tyre having used them myself and finding close to the same as bridgestone re040s which are no longer avalible

now running falken 912s - supposed to be slightly better in the wet but i cant say ive noticed any difference.

as for the bigger wheels do anything other than add weight. they allow you bigger brakes

Heavier wheels adds to the unsprung weight, so give this some thought before going down that route. Okay for normal road use but keep it lighter than OE for competition or track use.

The tyres look pretty good to me and like you said the reviews are good, Personally I'm not too sure on the tread pattern as to how much grip you will get bet it depends on how you plan on driving the car for the time being?

Personally I like the look of the Yokohama Parada spec 2 tyre it looks pretty sweet and the reviews are good as well but the only way your really going to find out is by trying them.

Not my most helpful post I know but I tried!