I Need a De-Cat

darrenmhaine

Car
Golf 1.4 tsi
Hey all.

I am trying to buy a decay pipe for my Golf Mk5 1.4 tsi (140hp); I can only find decat for the 170hp model. Does anyone know if the 170hp one would fit? My hunch is that it will but I don't want to spend the money on something I could only use as a trumpet. Cheers, Darren.

If it doesn't fit surely any skilled exhaust shop would be able to cobble one up.
If it is a road car then you will need to advise your insurer of the mod and won't it have trouble passing the MOT test/inspection??

PS I always advise my insurer via Email of any mods and print it out and file the hard copy as well as their reply accepting/rejecting the mod .

Last edited:
Have a feeling they're different. Certainly the diesel 140 and 170 versions are. Removing CAT anyways is illegal and has been for many years. The new MOT test that came out in May will pick it up and fail it straight away unless you're thinking of getting a swappable CAT/DECAT section or you're only going to use car on track. Awesome GTi or VW Racing sites are good place to look at what is available

I doubt removing the cat will give any noticeable gains, a sports cat is IMO your best option and gives the same boost as a decat keeping the car road legal. I would only expect a 3-4% peak power boost with this type of exhaust modification, a remap will yield massive gains for similar money.

What mods have you done so far?

Thanks for the advice guys, I had been mis-informed that a sports cat would still be really restrictive. The remap is coming, but can't afford it right now, sadly it'll have to wait until the new year. So far; 16" rims, dropped it 60mm on sports coilovers and BOV. Early days yet, so much that I want to do, just trying to figure out what I want to do first whilst trying to balance the books :woot:

When you've done all your upgrades get a custom remap on a dyno for best results from those upgrades. Craig at Ozmo Motorsports has a dyno facility and he's not to far from you. Only have his Facebook link but have a chat about what you want to achieve, he's a really nice and informed guy. He did my Golf few years ago. Custom exhaust instead of a off the shelf one might be better value also. Craig might be able to do a package for you ;)
https://www.facebook.com/634514679915858/posts/2125042737529704/

When you've done all your upgrades get a custom remap on a dyno for best results from those upgrades. Craig at Ozmo Motorsports has a dyno facility and he's not to far from you. Only have his Facebook link but have a chat about what you want to achieve, he's a really nice and informed guy. He did my Golf few years ago. Custom exhaust instead of a off the shelf one might be better value also. Craig might be able to do a package for you ;)
https://www.facebook.com/634514679915858/posts/2125042737529704/
Thanks for that, I'll give him a shout. There are a few tuners in my area but its always great to get a recommendation:D

Thanks for the kind support.