I got Daihatsu Charmant 1.3 can anyone help?

Phyzz

Wrench Pro
Car
Daihatsu Charmant
Hi there

First of all In Brunei Modifying a Car is illegal. I like it so much since its a FR, I want the engine to run fast. what can i do?

Hi Phyzz. Illegal to personalise a car? I'll have to have a chat with the Brunei ministry of Transportation then!

To be honest there is not much extra power available in the 1.3 block - a 1.6 gives a much better return for your investment. To make an engine more powerful you should have a read of these articles http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/engine-mods-x.php they should tell you what your options are.

Yes, its illegal, unless the car is a high spec type of vehicle, then a minor adjustment would only be done, but with a ride like mine? lol i cant do anything, what i can do is have is only a normal engine with slightly modification, so that the engine would look normal.

Well other series of Charmant is 1.3,1.6 and 2.0 (but im not really sure with the 2.0) I could swap the my old engine with a 1.6 Daihatsu Charmant engine, but im dreaming of swapping with 4AG the normal one not racing engine, but its a Toyota Engine, I dont think Ministry of Transportation would allow it.

Are you serious with having a chat with ministry of Transportation? hehe

Thanks for the info Waynne.

(I wasn't serious about talking with the Ministry of Transportation - we have enough issues here with silly legislation to cope with;))

Do you have race tracks - you could save the modified car for events?

You could open up the exhaust and intake ports in the head - that might give you a bit more power? A fast road cam would also increase power a bit and both modifications are not visible from outside.;)

haha, i thought u were serious about that...

Brunei doesnt have any race tracks, i just wanted some power out of it just to satisfy my need for speed, even if it aint much, atleast i could take on another new 1.3 engines on the road, when im driving,lol. (cause usually fast car would follow me behind my back real close on the fast lane)

Thanks for the ideas waynne.

You could open up the exhaust and intake ports in the head - that might give you a bit more power? A fast road cam would also increase power a bit and both modifications are not visible from outside.;)

what do u mean by open up exhaust and intake ports? as in how?
i dont have any clue,hehe...sorry bout that

Are you serious with having a chat with ministry of Transportation? hehe

LOL sorry :p

that really sucks not being able modify, try something like a panel filter? exhaust sytstem with a standard lookin box,

It replaces your cars paper air filter and is usully made from a high flowing foam material. It's not classed as a mod over here as it is generally viewed as a washable reusable air filter.

It replaces your cars paper air filter and is usully made from a high flowing foam material. It's not classed as a mod over here as it is generally viewed as a washable reusable air filter.

ohh sounds good. hmm, where can i get it here? maybe i could order it

I want to get a rpm gauge for my car,searching it on ebay though, I've search ed it here on the shop link, but I dont think there's any that's going to suit for my car. A normal car should use a rpm up to 8000 right?

1.3 will rev to around 7000 rpm but youd be safer with 5.5 or 6k redline

are you searching "rev counter" try searching under tachograph or tacho

by all means, tachograph and tachometer is the same right. So it should be fine with a gauge that goes up to 8000rpm. Thanks.

yeah tacho is the same as rev counter. just there not allways marked up in the same way. if you can get a guage thats close to what you need its better as it will have the redline set around where you need it

What's the penalty if you are caught and charged?

I'd imagine that it's pretty unpleasant, probably a short period of incarceration during which there'll be a couple of short but extremely painful sessions of physical punishment.

As such, I'd steer well clear of anything that's even remotely likely to attract the attention of the authorities.

What's the penalty if you are caught and charged?

I'd imagine that it's pretty unpleasant, probably a short period of incarceration during which there'll be a couple of short but extremely painful sessions of physical punishment.

As such, I'd steer well clear of anything that's even remotely likely to attract the attention of the authorities.

Well on road, if we're caught by the Police, we're charged about B$50.
As far as i know during a Road block session, sometimes the Police are with Ministry of Transportation, thats when it get hasty, they might charged us with higher pay depending with the modification, i dont know how much but its expensive. Paying up the court,etc.

Not as bad as I imagined, thanksfully. Still, there's a lot of legislation to comply with here in the UK too when it comes to modifying cars. Not quite as draconian as what you're describing but The Road Traffic Act and Construction and Use Regulations are a bit of a minefield.

I'm sure it will get tighter. I'm just glad the CO2 tax bands don't apply before 2001 otherwise my annual tax bill will be getting a massive hike over the next few years.

I'm post 2001 and still taxed on factory emissions ratings. Driving style is far more likely to affect CO2 than any mods to the car itself.

but its legal to modify your cars? xp its not legal here. How i wish brunei is like singapore, where they can modified their car, well with a permit though. =))

I can see the sense in outlawing ALL modifications because it removes the risk of badly done work by unqualified operators. On the contrary - there are plenty of standard cars here in the UK that are terribly maintained as a result of ignorant and neglegent owners.

It's hard to see a sensible route foward

I'm sure it will get tighter. I'm just glad the CO2 tax bands don't apply before 2001 otherwise my annual tax bill will be getting a massive hike over the next few years.

:evil::evil: yeap youd be jumping from £210 to £300 like me .:evil::evil:

i think the talk of the new mot rules were only on new cars. 1st one after 4 years and then every 2 years

as most people dont look after their cars. i really dont like this idea some cars are just ok on the roads so think what another year of neglect would do to them or more importantly how more dangerous they may become

Agreed. MOT every year as we do now.

Perhaps a little more Police attention to tyres and other obvious vehicle components and little less mucking about with LiDAR and other roadside enforcement devices.

WHile we're at it - get rid of the local authority operated speed traps as well. All they do is give proper traffic police a bad name.

Man I missed this forum.
Uhh, My Daihatsu Broke Down, My Carburator got busted, well its still working though but it need to be fixed. I just got the engine Top Overhaul, cause one of the Cylinder is not working. I got battery problem, I dont know whether the alternator didnt work properly or my battery isnt suitable for my alternator.

Welcome back then Phyzz. Sounds like you've been busy!

What is the battery problem you are having? Is it losing its charge? Have you put a voltmeter on it with the engine off and compared this with the engine running?

Welcome back then Phyzz. Sounds like you've been busy!

What is the battery problem you are having? Is it losing its charge? Have you put a voltmeter on it with the engine off and compared this with the engine running?

well i have this capacitor for my soundsystem and whenever the engine runs,the value always goes really down. Well i tried to convince my dad the alternator had some problem but then again my dad said that its not. I dont have an actual volmeter on it though. My dad is the one that manage all the maintenance and everything so i dont complain even a bit. He states that my soundsystem is the main problem that it eats alot of current,since its an old car. Well see whats the difference after i changed the battery to its normal volt ie 60v.

Yeah,i've been busy, its my final year right now at college,taking mechanical engineering. Having my break now, but im off to some company for 3 months starting October, and i'll be busy again for gaining experience.

Car betteries are 12 Volts! Did you mean 60 something else? You could hook up a second battery.

The charge voltage should hover around 13V with the engine running. Much less than this and you will be slowly draining the battery.

Car betteries are 12 Volts! Did you mean 60 something else? You could hook up a second battery.

The charge voltage should hover around 13V with the engine running. Much less than this and you will be slowly draining the battery.

60? well the value is stated there on my battery, 60, I assume that is the power supply aint it? or something else?... Second battery? and hows that?...

well when it is running its around 12++ then when my sound system is on, it goes lower.

Coud be your sound system is causing to much of a drain on your battery, if its old it will not be abe to hold its charge as well a a newer battery.

and that leads to the alternator,because it charges the battery,right? So if my alternator doesnt really work anymore and it cant charge my battery, so its useless if i bought a new battery, it's still going to drain the battery.

Sounds like you need a new alternator. Before forking over the cash for one check your terminals on the battery and make sure there is no corrosion and the terminals are tight. One way we check ours w/o a volt meter in the u.s. Is to start the car, then pull the positive terminal off. If it dies, bad alternator!

well .. charade and extensive audio system aint best friend but there's a way to solve the problem ..

1. change the alternator to higher rating ... stock charade alternator should be around 30-40amps .. when the audio is taking more than that, the alternator basicly just feeding all the current to the audio and dont hv anymore left to charge the battery . changing to higher rating is the way to go ..

2. or my favourite .. a larger alternator (i used Naza Kia alternator - 90amps) and add another battery with a split charge battery method so i can play Offline musics without interupting the main battery.

i used to have a carpc and a little power consuming audio system. so the system has its own battery. i can play offline till the battery died and still able to start the car. when the car is stated, the alternator warning light turn off the NC relay and charge both of the batteries at the same time. having a 90amps alternator helps to charge it.

i remembered one time when both battery almost flat out of voltage, jump start with my bike .. leave the car on idle for 10minutes. and walla .. both batteries are fully charged.