I got a stinger today

Guybo

Torque Junkie
Car
13 GenCoupe 2.0T
My stock axleback (muffler) was way too quiet. It was so quiet I didn't know when to shift and I couldn't feel the engine enough. So I dropped the muffler yesterday and ran for a while with the stock exhaust back to the axleback section and no muffler. Yeah, it's loud but not insane. There was drone though, but it was because the exhaust exit was directly beneath the trunk (which I have all but gutted- all that remains is the spare and the cardboard floor over it) which has no sound deadening material.

So I went to a local muffler shop and had them create a stinger. It is a flanged 2.5" pipe that runs straight out the back and they put the stock tip on it. My car has dual tips but I don't want dual exhausts when one is fine. The weight lost is about 30 lb total. According to the Torque app I have gained some HP and 5 or so ft-lb of torque on a 5th gear pull (1:1) from 1500 RPM up through 5k (over the same pull a few days before). Now it sounds awesome! No muffler, very little drone at all- even wifey is happy with it. On the highway today it was pretty quiet.

This video has some sound samples of the new stinger exhaust. At the end of the video you can see the stinger but it's not much to look at- looks like I have just one tip instead of 2... which I do.... Now what to do with that other exhaust exit on the other side of the bumper. Suggestions? I think I'll blank it off, but how?

Up next: test pipe resonator and straight 2.5" pipe from the downpipe back to the stinger.

I say it's loud but not insane. .. but there again I never stopped to ask the opinion the guy in back of me!

Can you get an aftermarket rear bumper to tidy it up? It's a better finish that messing around with glass fibre. A good body shop should be able to come up with a solution to tidy up the hole for you.

Sadly, I considered doing this, but I have to be able to look myself in the mirror so I decided against it. :oops:

$63 USD

I'm looking forward to getting a test pipe to unleash the whole sound :-D I'm tempted to say screw it and just gut the cat I don't want to wait to get the test pipe, but I'm being patient. I have to do upgrades a little at a time due to $$ not growing on trees. I'll still have the primary cat in place so the car won't throw a CEL, I will not be raping the environment (too bad), but the FULL sound of the engine won't be able to come through. *sigh*

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back