I am new guys :)) And I need help!!!

AlexZak

Car
1997 Supra
Hey everyone,

I have owned a 97 Supra for about a year now, and I am looking to push more HP.
I am currently running full stock internals. I am a complete amateur when it comes to upgrading, but I know a fair amount about engines and mechanics, but just don't know were to start for the upgrade, I am looking to get maybe 650-700 HP (I tried a few other Supra's and that's a controllable amount for me) Out of it, I am assuming turbo, maybe fuel system???? Please help :) Cheers

Hello there and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, it's great to have you along. Thanks for joining up.

I'm sure you'll find us very friendly and helpful, get involved in our many topics and threads and feel free to ask for tuning tips and solutions to problems in our technical and make and model forums. ;)

Yes a large turbo and uprated fuelling will achieve your aim but you'll need to be careful with the mapping. I've also seen some twin turbo upgrade setups on these which work very well but they are quite complicated to setup.

Does a 650bhp rear wheel drive car not worry you? :D You'll fit in fine on here.

It will not be easy to drive. You could use the mapping and fuelling to stage the power increase. The clutch will also take a hammering so will probably be the next upgrade.

Have you sourced any suitable turbos? Remember the larger turbos have more low end lag but hit that magic power figure further up the rev range. In many cases a lower peak power and wider mid range band is preferable.

PT62 to PT76 range is a good place to start. The GT47 is good for very large power gains. You need to read up on lag, spool and boost at RPM ranges and get one to suit your needs.

Awsome, of course hehe, thanks so much for the help :), whats next? should I go to my local shop a sort out tuning ?? AND, is that kit all I need to have to put it in the car? do I need anything more?

the supra engine is more than capable of 700atf and it is one of the few stock bottom ends that will take that power. However.....
It isn't clear whether you have a turbo supra or not If not I would check on the supra forums to confirm if the na motor is suitable for this power.
Back to turbo choice - I've been looking at this power level myself on an RB 30 which is pretty close to the supra when it comes to turbo choice .
I would think a single would be easiestto set up ,cheapest and just as good
If money is not the issue then it's a choice between a precision 6266 and the Borg Warner Efi or Garrett GT series equivalents
Power as in bhp won't be a problem but it's the torque curve that will make it quick and driveable. You will need a fair amount of other work if you want to avoid a lot of lag.
Cams and a worked head , an updated fuel system and a stand alone ECU ( link G4 , syvecs etc)
None of the above is cheap so good luck

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back