Hyundai cold start

westbrooke1

Car
hyundai trajet
I drive a 02 hyundai trajet diesel when it is cold it starts badly a bit lumpy with a lot of smoke it smoothes out and the smoke stops when warm I think it is the glow plugs but I cant locate them to test where are they located please .

I'm not sure that many 02 plated diesels need glow plugs to start unless it's well below freezing. It's more probable that the fuel preheater has failed, or perhaps it's fuse(s) or relay that controls it.

Glow plugs are only required with indirect injection diesel engines. They're still fitted to allow for very low temperatures. More often now they form part of the emissions control equipment and are simply used as part of the particle filter burn off cycle.

I agree with HDI on this 1. My mums J plate Land Rover will start straight away without waitin for the glow plugs. It's even been stood for over 2 weeks an still started straight away without waiting for the glow plugs. I'd be looking elsewhere for your problem mate. When was it last serviced???

With older diesels (indirect injection ones) the glow plugs often are engaged when the car is unlocked, whether remotely or otherwise. Either way, idi diesel engines do need that warm up cycle to start cleanly.

We have a Seat Ibiza 1.9D which works in this way.

it's worth comment at this point - all engines should be run at idle for a minute or two before driving from cold. Oil gets slightly warmed. This can do wonders for the life of the engine in your car.

With older diesels (indirect injection ones) the glow plugs often are engaged when the car is unlocked, whether remotely or otherwise. Either way, idi diesel engines do need that warm up cycle to start cleanly.

We have a Seat Ibiza 1.9D which works in this way.

it's worth comment at this point - all engines should be run at idle for a minute or two before driving from cold. Oil gets slightly warmed. This can do wonders for the life of the engine in your car.

Just to comment on that HDI If your engines got a turbo try and leave it on idle for a couple of mins before switching engine off. Doing this will 1,Increase the life of the engine an 2, increase the life of your turbo. I don't have a turbo but still let the car idle for a min or 2 after heavy driving...:D

Thanks for the replies ,can I check the fuel pre heat myself or will I have to take it in to main agent ? on starting I wait for the dash light to go out then start when cold like frosty mornings I have to turn it over and over it starts but a bit rough then smoothes out as it gets warm .

Thanks for the replies ,can I check the fuel pre heat myself or will I have to take it in to main agent ? on starting I wait for the dash light to go out then start when cold like frosty mornings I have to turn it over and over it starts but a bit rough then smoothes out as it gets warm .

When was it last serviced?

When was it last serviced?

Oil change &filter air filter in sept fuel filter 1 year ago disc brake rotor and brakes Aug renewed its done 44,000 miles most work I do myself its always been maintained I had a Nissan pick up for 14 years that I maintained myself with no probs .

To be honest, all diesels are a little bit rough when cold, whether or not the pre-heater is working. If it starts first twist of the key and doesn't belch out tons of black smoke it's probably OK. The preheater is there to protext the injectors from overly viscous cold fuel.

You cold also try a bottle of Forte Diesel Treatment. This stuff clears up all manner of non mechanical problems.

To be honest, all diesels are a little bit rough when cold, whether or not the pre-heater is working. If it starts first twist of the key and doesn't belch out tons of black smoke it's probably OK. The preheater is there to protext the injectors from overly viscous cold fuel.

You cold also try a bottle of Forte Diesel Treatment. This stuff clears up all manner of non mechanical problems.

Just to comment on that HDI If your engines got a turbo try and leave it on idle for a couple of mins before switching engine off. Doing this will 1,Increase the life of the engine an 2, increase the life of your turbo. I don't have a turbo but still let the car idle for a min or 2 after heavy driving...:D

Thanks TN - I'm actually one of the best propoents of this practice. It's one reason I'm don't like too many other people using my car as they see it as unnecessary. My Dad's even worse - he revs it up before switching off, thus spooling up the turbo and then cutting it's oil supply dead!!

Thanks TN - I'm actually one of the best propoents of this practice. It's one reason I'm don't like too many other people using my car as they see it as unnecessary. My Dad's even worse - he revs it up before switching off, thus spooling up the turbo and then cutting it's oil supply dead!!

I'm always telling my mum an dad about this when they switch off their scoob. But they never listen. I ain't got a turbo on mine but I do still do it just to let all the oil calm down and drop a bit of temp. But in my opinion it really is a must if you do have a turbo.

An I'd give changing the glow plugs ago... When where they last changed?

An I'd give changing the glow plugs ago... When where they last changed?

They are the original glow plugs , where are they on this motor:confused: in my nissan they were easy to find and on my mates rover well easy but I cant find them on the Hyundai ,checked the fuses they are ok and there are 2 for the glow plugs .

Here is the picture of the engine cover removed dont know if it shows much does it show where the pre heater is?

NCCattheacecafe027.jpg

The pic wasn't deleted, it was just in the moderation queue as you have less than 10 posts. I've okayed it for you.

I'd refer it back to a dealer for a diagnostic, you can spend hours trying to track something like this down. It might just be a fuel filter or fuel heater that needs some attention. A lot of work goes in to make diesels start without belching too much smoke. Its mainly an emissions thing and shouldn't affect the life or running of the engine.

Last edited:
I think it's a dealer visit to be honest. Even if you can find and diagnose the fault the chances of a DIY fix are almost nil. The HDi and CRD engines run at incredible pressures. Mine's something like 130bar. Yes, bar, not PSI!!

THere's no way I'd touch anything fuel related - a stray jet from an injector could cut a finger off!

I think that really is your best bet - diesels have got some complex of late there really is little that can be done on a DIY basis. In some ways this is a shame as the original appeal of the diesel engine was its simplicity.

Sure, the performance and refinement are superb now but at waht cost?